Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good .38 Spl standard pressure defense load?

Feedback Score
    The weight of the bullet in this load is 90grn. My wife caries them in her S&W 442 (no lock :-) ). Very controllable and if the testing is to be believed, very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by July4th View Post
    Check out Hornady's Critical Defense Lite. It is an FTX bullet (can't remember the weight) with a pink plug instead of red. Has a pink ribbon on the box to support breast cancer research.

I've never shot any, but Hornady has marketed it as the answer to your dilemma. If you get any, let us know how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    My wife likes revolvers but knows nothing about guns. I went searching for a revolver that could handle .38 SPL +P and I knew would have gentle recoil w/o being too big and heavy. So, I was looking for empty weights north of 20 oz and hopefully south of 32. I got her a S&W 386 Night guard which is a 7 shot scandium frame .357. On the surface that sounds bad...but its unloaded weight is mid-20 ozs, has a full grip and excellent combat sights.

She has now attended a 2 day defensive handgun course with it at FAS with no issues. Recoil with the 135g +P Gold Dot load is no big deal. I would suggest you steer her strongly away from any airweight .38 and into something like the model 60, doesn't matter .38 or .357, just needs to be over 20 oz.

I absolutely hated shooting standard pressure .38 loads through an airweight J frame and I like .44 magnum recoil in a full size revolver.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How about the tried and true FBI load?

Federal 158gr lead semi wadcutter hollow point, standard pressure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having instructed a few novices in shooting, I've observed that the 2 inch 38 is not the best choice with which to begin instruction. One reason is blast and jump; another is the short sight radius. Often frustration hinders mastery. I fear that at this stage ammo choice may not be the limiting issue. I'm assuming that the lady is not a shooter.

My experience has been that lighter weight bullets in .38 spl produce much less recoil even in +p ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BombTec View Post

Not only us this a good load, but you can find it just about anywhere.
    Last edited by Sgt_Gold; 04-09-15 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    For novices I've found a lightly loaded 125 gr SWC good for training / practice. I like wadcutter's too but they are clumsier to load into the chambers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BombTec View Post

I carried the FBI load in a J Frame for years. I stopped carrying it when I witnessed the performance in ballistic gelatin when shot through a 1-7/8" barrel.
    Train 2 Win

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123