Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Do All Recce

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My Do All Recce

I built this gun to serve as my do all/ 2-gun competition/ back up dmr and so far it's been working out well in that role.

Upper:
    BCM blem upper
    BCM Gunfighter CH
    CMT SA BCG
    BCM KMR-13
    WOA 16" SS ML .223 Wylde
    WOA bolt
    YHM low pro gas block
    Griffin Armament Tactical Comp
    Magpul MBUS
    Burris TAC30
    Vortex Cantilever Mount

Lower:
    Aero Precision lower
    Stag LPK
    ALG Defense QMS
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    Magpul BAD Lever
    Ranier Milspec RE
    Standard Carbine Spring
    H1 Buffer
    Magpul CTR

This rifle came about originally because I wanted an upper that I could use to test different optics and other accessories on without having to mess with my DMR build. Over the summer I picked up a new lower and eventually it just morphed into a completely new rifle to use as a general purpose recce I guess you could say. The WOA barrel and BCG used for this build came from the previous iteration of my DMR so I knew that the accuracy and reliability was there from the get go. Sights wise this thing started out with just the MBUS sights but after a horse trade I picked up an old Aimpoint CompM that would work great for most of the shooting that I planned to do, or so I thought. After a 2-Gun match at my local range I realized that as good as the Aimpoint was I really wanted something with some magnification to help find and more quickly put accurate shots on steel. To me the Aimpoint works fine if you are shooting well painted IPSC size targets at distance but shooting smaller targets like Pepper Poppers and Mini-IPSC targets that are shot up with most of the paint missing, it can be a real challenge. I dismissed the idea of a magnifier because I felt that a low power variable could give me increased capabilities with little downside over the red dot/magnifier combo.

I picked up a Burris TAC30 based on some reviews that I had read and the one that I handled on a friend's rifle. So far it's been working great and the reticle strikes a good balance on the usability vs visibility scale. With the center dot of the reticle zeroed at 50 yards as opposed to 100 per the manual I can basically put that dot on a target from 0-250 yards and nail it with 55gr ball. The next dot would work out to be 340, then 440, 505, and I think 585 would be the open dot at the bottom but I don't know if I'd push 55gr FMJ that far in anything but perfect conditions. I also added some grip tape to the ocular bell to aid in spinning it from high to low power. I tried one of those plastic MGM EagleEye throw levers but it didn't work out on this scope, it just spun off after a few turns from high to low. At last weekend's 2-Gun match the rifle ran great and I felt that the choice to switch to a variable powered optic was a wise one one a couple of the stages that had steel at longer ranges.

Like with anything the rifle is ever evolving and the next upgrade is probably going to be a new trigger, more than likely another Giessele.

Feedback Score
    Looks nice! I'm curious though - the optic mount doesn't appear to be a quick release. Why bother having a flip up iron sight under it?
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good looking rig. I'm thinking of doing something very similar. How's the WOA barrel holding up?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good point and that is something that I forgot to bring up, as I mentioned before I was running an Aimpoint prior to mounting the optic up so the MBUS sights made more sense then. The mount comes off pretty easily with a T-15 wrench so if something happens at the range or in a competition I'm not exactly up shit's creek but I am looking at putting off set irons on it.

The WOA barrel has been working out great, it gives good velocity, good accuracy, and it's been totally reliable across a broad range of ammunition. I've got thousands of rounds through it, not sure what the total count is but I have a feeling I'm a long ways away from shooting it out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Whats the weight for that setup?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice setup. I have a couple Recce type builds myself.

Upper Receiver:

DTI flattop M4 Upper (w/ DTI 16" 1/9 HBAR carbine)
    YHM Phantom 5C2
    DTI Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    DTI Charging Handle
    PRI Low Profile Gas Block
    PRI “Big Latch”
    Midwest Industries 2 Piece Free Float Full Length Forearm (MCTAR-22)
    Midwest Industries Same Plane Low Profile Flip Rear Sight (MCT-SPLP)
    Midwest Industries Flip Front Sight, Forearm Rail Model (MCTAR-FFR)
    Midwest Industries Heavy Duty Quick Detach Front Sling Adapter for Rails (MCTAR-08HD)
    Midwest Industries HD Quick Detach Sling Swivel
    MAGPUL Full Length XT Rail Panels (B) Black
    LaRue Tactical Harris Bipod Adapter QD LT-130
    Schuster MFG, Nut-Locker For Harris "S" Bipods
    Harris Bipod BRM-S
    LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 QD Mount (LT104-30mm)
    Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope, Matte, Illuminated Donut-Dot (BK81002)
    LaRue Tactical LT-FUG (Forward Universal Grip)

Lower Receiver:

Noveske N4 Stripped Lower Receiver
    DPMS Lower Parts Kit
    MAGPUL MIAD Pistol Grip (Black)
    MAGPUL UBR Buttstock Assembly (Black)
    MAGPUL Enhanced Trigger Guard
    KNS Gen II Anti Rotation Trigger and Hammer Pins (.154)
    ”H” buffer

Upper Receiver:
    Palmetto State Armory upper receiver
    Palmetto State Armory Premium BCG
    Palmetto State Armory 16 inch 1/7 twist 5.56 NATO chrome lined barrel , mid length
    Troy Low-Profile Gas Block
    Primary Arms 1-4x24 illuminated scope
    American Defense AD-RECON 30MM scope mount (FDE)
    BCM Gunfighter MOD 4 charging handle
    Fortis REV Free Float Rail System - 14" keymod rail (BLK)
    LANTAC Dragon muzzle brake
    MAGPUL MBUS front & rear flip-up sights (FDE)
    MAGPUL AFG2 (FDE)

Lower Receiver:
    Spikes punisher lower receiver
    New Frontier Armory LPK
    TAPCO buffer tube, spring, and buffer (Mil-Spec)
    MAGPUL CTR Carbine Stock, Mil-Spec Version (FDE)
    MAGPUL MOE pistol grip (FDE)
    KNS Gen I Anti Rotation Trigger and Hammer Pins (Standard)
    Last edited by Renegade04; 12-29-14 at 10:17.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Very nice setup.

Isn't the Tac30 impressive for a budget optic? I'm running one on my 3 gun rifle and I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The weight is right at 8 pounds as you see it.

I like the TAC30 a lot, it encompassed a lot of the features that I was looking for in a 1-4X scope in terms of having capped turrets, a simple BDC reticle, and reasonable good glass while also being relatively compact. I agree with most of the reviews regarding the illumination controls, it must've been designed by a brain damaged monkey on a Friday afternoon. However, considering how much I'll probably actually use the illumination I'll let it slide. I like the looks of their new 1-5 also.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rig.

Feedback Score
    I have skateboard tape around the ocular housing on my TAC30 too. Works great. Very nice rifle. I'm thinking of putting together something similar for my next... kind of an "urban sniper" type setup. I'll probably use more precision oriented glass though. I have two TAC30s, and they stay on the battle rifle rigs.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast