Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Range Officer and Range etiquette.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question about Range Officer and Range etiquette.

*Sorry if this thread is on the wrong place and please feel free to move it to the correct area if needed.

Yesterday my wife and I went up to our local range where I am a member. It was the first time I had ever been there on a weekend as I prefer to go on the weekdays when there is nobody there... including staff. When we got to the 100 yard rifle range there was only 1 other person shooting at the furthest table. We got all setup and good to go. I have a Pelican case which holds both my BCM rifle and my Colt. I took out the BCM and left the case open with the Colt inside the case which was sitting at my feet under the table. After firing a couple of rounds at the table a range officer came up to me and asked me to remove the Colt and place it on one of the range supplied gun racks, in which I complied. Went back to shooting at the table with the BCM and a few minutes later he came back over and picked up my Colt and inspected it. He never asked to pick up my rifle he just did it. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, but later in the day I got to thinking about it and it sort of pissed me off.

What are your opinions on this? Am I simply overreacting or should I email the range master and let him know that IMO his RSO stepped over the line?

Thank You.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This doesn't really belong here.

Short answer: He shouldn't be doing that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I knew somebody would find the right place for my question! I would of posted it in General but I can't post there yet. Thanks Mod who moved me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What does "inspected it" mean? What did he do, exactly?

Part of his responsibility is to ensure that guns that aren't in use are in a safe condition and are generally compliant with range rules. If he was verifying it was unloaded in the rack, or didn't have some other attribute of concern, he's not out in left field but there are some courtesies a smart RO would use with the owner.

If he picked it up to check it out like he was browsing a sale rack, he should ask.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi Skintop911, from what I can tell he simply picked it up, pulled back the charging handle and placed it back in the rack. My vision was more peripheral as I was shooting at the time. My wife saw the whole thing, so I'm going with what she saw.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    he was just checking to make sure there was no round in the chamber. it should have been racked with bolt locked open.
    so far to the left i must be right.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    From my experience with private gun clubs and self proclaimed "range officers" or "staff" is that they are, mostly, doing the right thing but going about it in a very wrong way.

Did he mean well? Yes. Was it his property to touch? No.

Proper etiquette is to ask first, then wait for an answer before touching someone elses firearm unless it is an absolute life and death type of scenario.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eljimbo142 View Post
    he was just checking to make sure there was no round in the chamber. it should have been racked with bolt locked open.
    ^This^....If it was in the rack with the bolt closed, it was his job to ensure it was empty. Range etiquette is that you put them on the rack with the bolts open. Range rules can vary a bit, but this one is pretty consistent in my experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ah, makes sense. I always store my guns with the bolt closed and when i racked it I forgot to lock the bolt open. My mistake. Thanks for the replies guys... I'm going to let this go due to my careless mistake and learn from it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IMO, the RO is right and it is rare for me to say that considering most civilian RO's are jack-legs who are just making it up as they go.

He was just ensuring there were no loaded rifles on the firing line that weren't being shot.

If you case had been closed, I would have thought him a prick. And I understand why he wanted the bolt locked back. He should have told you to lock it to the rear when he told you to rack it.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 11-16-14 at 12:10. Reason: sp
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast