Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Range Officer and Range etiquette.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eljimbo142 View Post
    he was just checking to make sure there was no round in the chamber. it should have been racked with bolt locked open.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    ^This^....If it was in the rack with the bolt closed, it was his job to ensure it was empty. Range etiquette is that you put them on the rack with the bolts open. Range rules can vary a bit, but this one is pretty consistent in my experience.
    Yup.

Next time, lock the bolt of your rifle back (or use a chamber flag) (no magazine/unloaded of course)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "Went back to shooting at the table with the BCM and a few minutes later he came back over and picked up my Colt and inspected it. He never asked to pick up my rifle he just did it. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, but later in the day I got to thinking about it and it sort of pissed me off."

Nobody has the right, ever, to touch your firearm without your expression permission. On the other hand, if you put it up in a rifle rack without the bolt open, clearly visible, that was your fault and mistake. Sounds to me like you need to learn your range's rules before you go out again. At our range, we require everyone to step away from their weapons when the range is cold and not touch them, ammo, or anything else. Idiots who violate that simple, common sense rule are reminded, in varying degrees of "polite" conversation. Nothing pisses me off more than to be walking back from downrange placing targets to see some jerk handling his firearm, even sighting it. I generally am not very polite when I go over to talk to him.
    Last edited by GeorgeB; 11-16-14 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agree with this guy. now, that being said, he should NOT have touched it without asking first.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    IMO, the RO is right and it is rare for me to say that considering most civilian RO's are jack-legs who are just making it up as they go.

He was just ensuring there were no loaded rifles on the firing line that weren't being shot.

If you case had been closed, I would have thought him a prick. And I understand why he wanted the bolt locked back. He should have told you to lock it to the rear when he told you to rack it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    ^This^....If it was in the rack with the bolt closed, it was his job to ensure it was empty. Range etiquette is that you put them on the rack with the bolts open. Range rules can vary a bit, but this one is pretty consistent in my experience.
    This. If he would have been playing around with it or some other form of uninvited fondling I'd say it's an issue. I forgot the same thing one time and had the RO stop me in the middle of shooting to scold me and make me lock the bolt carrier back. I'd say what this guy did was actually the more polite way to handle it.

I've since gotten in the habit of using chamber flags, makes their job easier and eliminates any reason for them to touch my shiz.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks again to all that replied. Much appreciated, and I will definitely take what I learned and apply it. Also like the idea of the chamber flags. GeorgeB, it's the same rules at our range in regards to racking your weapons when there is a cease-fire and I feel the same way as you do regarding that matter. SpeedRacer, great idea on the chamber flags... I think I'll give that a go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post
    Thanks again to all that replied. Much appreciated, and I will definitely take what I learned and apply it. Also like the idea of the chamber flags. GeorgeB, it's the same rules at our range in regards to racking your weapons when there is a cease-fire and I feel the same way as you do regarding that matter. SpeedRacer, great idea on the chamber flags... I think I'll give that a go.
    $7 for 6 of them, shipped, Prime

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RBTNXO/...I2DLK8HHCSYNAX

I use these for all centerfire rifles. They do require the action be closed on them (with control of course don't slam it home) in order to stay in place, but then they WILL stay in place, and help keep gravel, rocks, etc from being kicked into the chamber if you have to leave it on the ground.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Warp!!! Purchased! I do have Prime, so a good deal overall.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Same ones I use, and the only thing with Tapco written on it allowed in my home. Okay and maybe an AK trigger or two.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12