Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Down a BCM KMR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cutting Down a BCM KMR?

Has anyone shortened a BCM KMR forend? I'm interested in using one with an AAC 9" 300BLK barrel and I want to have enough room to still use a 51T muzzle device with my can.

Anything odd or unusual about cutting whatever alloy BCM is using? I assume Cerakote is the stuff to use afterward?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I'd make sure it was done on a milling machine for precision. I certainly wouldn't wing it with a Dremel tool!

Cerakote or Duracoat afterwards would suffice, or you could tape it off and hit it with a little appropriately glossed black spray paint.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'd make sure it was done on a milling machine.... I certainly wouldn't wing it...
    Why bother with a milling machine when I have a perfectly good hacksaw in the garage?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Why bother with a milling machine when I have a perfectly good hacksaw in the garage?

Oh. My. God. You're forcing me to reach for the bourbon, you know that right?

BTW, I just looked at a pic (didn't feel like going down to my safe) and the keymod slots are staggered from one surface to the next above or below it. In other words if you straight-cut it it'll look like shit! The cut right in front of a given slot will go right through the center of the one above or below it. You won't have a smooth front surface to your rail.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah I see the slots are offset around the rail so the hacksaw might have to go back into the toolbox.

Plan B, if I decide to go through with it, is to send the forend off to someone like Marvin Pitts. Maybe I can have him dimple the barrel while he's got the rail in his shop.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Go for it tokarev, it's your money and it's not an area vital to weapon system functionality that you're modifying. Just take a lot of pictures and post them.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Go for it tokarev, it's your money and it's not an area vital to weapon system functionality that you're modifying. Just take a lot of pictures and post them.
    It'll be awhile.

I've recently picked up a receiver set from 2A and am now wondering what to do with it. I had kind of been thinking of building a 16" carbine with a BCM or Ballistic Advantage pencil barrel. I still might just do this route but it might be pretty fun to have something short and light in 300BLK instead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't sell the hacksaw short. In Machine Tech. school we had to get NIMs certified in precision layout and bench tools. One of the projects was a 2x2x2 cube that had to be cut and filed down to .0005 parallel/perpendicular/flatness with perfect finish, using nothing but hacksaw and a file. Teacher was so impressed with buddies and mine he kept for his student project wall. Not saying you should hack on your KMR, but hacksaw and good file with draw filing technique, can produce some pretty amazing results.... Dremels are for wusses.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Funny, I just started an AAC 9" build and was thinking about cutting down a KMR or NSR.

I was unable to figure out an easy plan for the KMR. The NSR though, what if you cut the barrel nut side of the NSR 9?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hacksaw is too much work- I'm going for the Sawzall
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast