Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Down a BCM KMR?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I do plan to cut my 9", but I'm also not in a hurry.

I've been thinking I'd go with a non straight cut- preserve a solid edge. I was thinking Dremel followed by file then sand.

My objective is to allow the ports on my MAMS to clear the rail.
    Honestly, I think a Dremel is a poor choice for making long straight cuts like you'd need to get a clean result on your handguard. The cutting discs wear quickly, you have to join multiple cuts, and the body of the tool gets in the way and prevents perpendicular cuts if you are too far away from the edge of whatever you're cutting.

The right tools, I think, are a small fine-toothed hacksaw and lots of patience. You could use a Dremel to help start internal radius cuts, though.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    If you can wait it out a month and a half at the most... 2A will have a 7" Solution that matches the upper on the BALIOS-lite

Mods, if this is considered out of line, please delete.
    Interesting.

What can you tell me about this rail? Weight? GI or propriety barrel nut?

Any chance for a "sneak peak?"
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Proprietary nut, offered in both Ti and Aluminum. It is a 6061 Extruded rail. With the Aluminum nut, and a 15" rail, weight will be around 8.6oz.

All I have is some pictures of a 7075 version that was made from a solid piece of bar stock for proto purposes. Things have changed since then, and the mounting surfaces have been minimized. The lightening cuts on the top of the BALIOS-lite receiver set will be extended down the top of the rail.

That is some of the technical aspects so far. Doing 15" versions, and 7" versions first... then will offer a 12" Most likely.

this is a picture of a PROTO rail, and IS NOT! A production rail. It will be very similar, however the attachment point has been optimized since this proto rail....

Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So weight specs appear to be about the same as the KMR unless I went with something like a V7 titanium barrel nut. But we're probably not talking about more than an ounce or two especially at the shorter lengths.

Are the slots in the forend MLOK? What about a Keymod version?

TIA.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I am going to have a long wait for the can so in the short term I am going to chop a 10" ALG M-LOK. It looks like the resulting rail will be about 8-8.5" (based on looking at the 10" vs 13" rails) and they are only $100-115 shipped.

http://algdefense.com/10-ergonomic-m...-lok-gray.html

I can't run a VFG on my planned pistol build, gonna need the AFG, and the new MLOK looks slick.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 11-20-14 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So weight specs appear to be about the same as the KMR unless I went with something like a V7 titanium barrel nut. But we're probably not talking about more than an ounce or two especially at the shorter lengths.

Are the slots in the forend MLOK? What about a Keymod version?

TIA.
    Yes, both M-lok and Keymod will be offered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are there any durability concerns with an aluminum barrel nut? What are the chances of bursting or rupturing from an obstruction in the bore?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Are there any durability concerns with an aluminum barrel nut? What are the chances of bursting or rupturing from an obstruction in the bore?
    We haven't blown one up to see, but it would be an interesting test for sure. I have never seen an AR destroy the chamber area in a KB however. I don't think the barrel nut would help in anyway either steel or aluminum. With that being said, I realize that the stigma of having an aluminum nut is hard to shake, so we are making the nuts out of titanium as standard. The aluminum nut will be offered as a secondary item for those looking for weight savings.

Cram a .300 BO in a 5.56 chamber and KB some rifles in front of a high speed camera would be an interesting test.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hello, Redmist. Any chance you might have an update on the lightweight rail?

Feedback Score
    Waiting on packaging, and Ano... I expect it to be out just before SHOT.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast