Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Reality Fail?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    If bullets walk forward on a revolver it can lock up the cylinder but I've only heard of it on the magnums and big bore guns.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I've had this happen with a J frame shooting factory magnum loads with lead bullets (not jacketed). The cylinder jammed up (wouldn't rotate), the bullet came out, and there was powder everywhere.

I've also had 2 parts failures (the MIM hammer block broke both times) with a J Frame which kept the gun from firing. The third hammer block was not MIM manufactured.

None of these failures happened in a gun fight.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Okay, learn something new everyday.

I've shot stuff in the head before that just dropped, but maybe it was location and angle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    For a pocket/deep concealment/BUG, I see no reason for a J-frame when you can get something like my Kahr CM9 that is just as short, slimmer profile, 7 rounds vs. 5, much better trigger, quicker to reload, and with better sights. I just don't see one way the J-frame is better... unless you're like my old lady and have trouble racking the slide on something like a CM9. She sure likes her J-frame.
    Better sights and trigger on a Kahr than on a J frame? Are you serious?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coltm4223 View Post
    Does anyone have a credible real life account where a J-frame was employed in a lethal force encounter and the shooter (trained) did his part and the weapon choice (J-frame) was the reason for his/her defeat? Hear lots of reasons but an old timer told me one time that because he carried a J-frame only he thinks he made better decisions because that was always in the forefront of his mind. He did tell me about an incident where two B-guys were testing him and he ended up shooting one and he said the other bolted before he could get a sight picture on him. No way to confirm his tale, he claimed it occured 1952 in NYC.
    I'm aware of 1 real life shooting with a J frame. Caliber involved was .32 and the person shot was hit twice (shoulder and upper chest). He stopped the assault and the person that fired was not charged (it was on his property). He fully recovered after a few days in the hospital. This occurred about 2 years ago and I wasn't present but know both parties; can provide a newspaper reference if you'd like. I believe this is what your asking for if I understood your question correctly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have personal knowledge of two police shootings with a 2 inch Charter Arms .38. Both were one shot kills. In one the distance was about 20 feet. In the other it was point blank with a head shot.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I believe that Ayoob has a story he tells of a CCW'er in Apartheid South Africa going to church and three guys show up with AKs and Uzis, intending to ventilate as many folks as possible. IIRC, the CCW'er took down two of them. The third fled. Lots of innocent church-goers got shot, though, so the guy regretted not having more rounds. IIRC, he briefly chased the third shooter before he realized he was out of ammunition - and luckily the third shooter never realized it, either.

Of course, it has been years since I read that, so I'm more than likely a little bit fuzzy on the details.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    There was a female NYPD off duty officer back around 1993 who got mugged by, I believe, three bad guy's. She emptied her J frame defending herself. I can't remember what the effects were on the bad guys (don't know if any died), but she was shot in the process. When she recovered from her wounds and was promoted to Detective, she got a Glock 19.

I remember this story because it happened right as Bratton was already trying to get Glocks for all of NYPD, and this incident ended up being his "excuse" to push that through.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    LOL. I remember a guy who got shot 10+ times with .40 near by the ATL cops and lived. Sometimes you need an MG42
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I'm aware of 1 real life shooting with a J frame. Caliber involved was .32 and the person shot was hit twice (shoulder and upper chest). He stopped the assault and the person that fired was not charged (it was on his property). He fully recovered after a few days in the hospital. This occurred about 2 years ago and I wasn't present but know both parties; can provide a newspaper reference if you'd like. I believe this is what your asking for if I understood your question correctly.
    Doesn't sound like a J frame failure to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Doesn't sound like a J frame failure to me.
    Agreed. J frame worked perfectly. Thought he was asking for real life usage of a J frame not a FAILURE during usage. This 1 successful usage of a J Frame is the only 1 that I'm aware of directly

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast