Thread: Benchmade or Zero Tolerance?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Benchmade or Zero Tolerance?

I'm looking at getting myself a new knife. I want a heavier folder and I've pretty much narrowed it I down to either the Benchmade Adamas or the Zero Tolerance ZT 0350TS. I am very familiar with Benchmade knives as I have owned and carried them since the late nineties and I really like the axis locking system. I have no experience with Zero Tolorance products but have yet to hear anything negative about them. I do not "need" a new knife, I'm just getting one for the heck of it. So what do y'all think? Would love to hear from Benchmade and Zero Tolerance owners.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-24-15 at 01:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    BM customer service is ridic (in a good way).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    BM customer service is ridic (in a good way).
    So is Kershaw's in my experience as well.

Feedback Score
    I would recommend a ZT 0560 over the 0350 due to the recurve in the 0350 blade. I can sharpen the recurve, but it requires different a technique. The blade steel in the 0560 is a bit better as well than the 0350 (S30V vs Elmax). I would get an Adamas over a 0350, and 0560 over an Adamas, but it is all based on personal preference (I prefer the Hinderer designed blade, the steel, the titatinum G10 combo handle). In either situation you are getting a great knife.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Both are great manufacturers that make many models. The two you mentioned are in my opinion very different. The Adamas is a huge/thick beast and in my opinion bigger than what most folks usually carry. Great knife, just beefy. The 0350 is flat and relatively thin, wide short blade, but I've seen them carried quite often.

My vote would be the Hinderer designed ZT's. There are several new models out that are pretty slick. 0560 and 0562 in various color and blade finishes are available.

ETA: JackFanToM beat me to it.
    Last edited by Gingerkid; 11-18-14 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a ZT350S and a 360TS.SKD. I also have an 18 year old Benchmade mini reflex, an Infidel, and an AFO. IMHO, the ZT's are superior knives relative to the blade, but I carry the mini reflex because of the size. The others are all big knives and don't carry well in the kinds of clothing I wear. That mini Reflex doesn't hold an edge that well, gets time on the Worksharp almost every week.

Feedback Score
    I carry a BM Adamas everyday. Built like a tank and has a unbelievable lockup. I had a ZT but I gave it away as a gift after about a week. YMMV

Benchmade all the way for this guy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like Benchmade and I like the Adamas. Here is another possibility, I've been carrying a Benchmade Contego BM810 for more than a year and I have some other Benchmade knives as well. The Adamas is really nice too, but the Contego gives me a more secure grip, but it is not an auto knife.. The blade is CPM-M4 (It now comes in M390 stainless too) which is a super steel, but it can corrode (hasn't happened to me yet). The trade off is that the CPM-M4 is easier to sharpen and holds it's edge better for me than the some of the stainless blades. I also like the glass breaker at the heel of the knife.

The BM810 is a pretty big knife, but it is not overly thick. It comes with very rough G10 grips that most guys sand the edges of to make them a bit more comfortable.

I like the AXIS lock because I can very easily open AND close the knife quickly with one hand. It is a bit more difficult with a liner lock. I'm a Benchmade guy.

The BM810 model is a plain blade - Contego 810
    You can get it in M390 steel now, but they left the glass breaker off - Contego M390
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-19-14 at 22:04.