Thread: Inforce APL vs WMLX for 12 o'clock on a rifle in front of a fixed front sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Inforce APL vs WMLX for 12 o'clock on a rifle in front of a fixed front sight.

Currently trying to decide between the apl and wmlx for a 16" barreled rifle with 15" FF handguard in front of a Troy fixed front sight. I know there are other options as well, but I only want 12 o'clock mount, not hanging over the end of the muzzle (device), and I am not fond of the x300u and Streamlight paddles.

APL PROS:
    Lightweight
    Small footprint
    Newly revised secure attachment
    Constant on ability
    Paddles are to the sides and depressed inward

APL CONS:
    200 lumens
    Not much cheaper than other option(s)

WMLX PROS:
    500 lumens
    Ergonomic activation button
    Strobe if I ever want to goof off?

WMLX CONS:
    Much longer footprint (therefore pushing the FFront sight that much further back)
    Ergonomic activation button and lockout gate seems as though it would be a nuisance to used with a fixed front sight directly behind it.

These are just some examples of my thought process alone. I'm sure I've missed some.

What I am hoping for is input from those that have or still use either light at 12 on their rifle and their experiences. Also, if anyone has any pictures to share showing an example of what I'm posting about, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 11-18-14 at 18:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own and have used both in the 12 o'clock position. The APL is better suited to use on a handgun. The large paddles work well in that role. They are entirely too easy to activate inadvertently on a carbine. The WMLx and it's switch is better suited to use on a long gun.

On a 15" handguard, you should have plenty of space to mount the light and sight where you need them. I wouldn't get too fixated on having to the sight directly behind your light. I suspect that if you were to prioritize you likelihood of using the light versus the front sight you would be far more likely to need to use the light (assuming you are using an optic of some kind). That prioritization should dictate placement. Place your light where you need it based on where you grip the forend and then place the front sight far enough behind it that you have room to work the light. You will still have plenty of sight radius (which isn't as big of a deal as it is made out to be).

I generally mount my front sight a few slots behind my light so it can serve as a thumb stop. It helps add a bit of control and lets me get some mileage out of something that I generally don't have to use.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I mounted my WML at the the front of my 15" handguard, in front of a fixed Troy sight.
    The biggest downside of that is how far the reach is to activate the light. I felt like I was stretched out just a few inches than I was comfortable with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you both for the replies.

I agree that I am probably worrying too much about sight radius and should be focusing more on ergonomics. That is one of the main reasons I am leaning more towards the APL due to the constant on ability, I can tap it on and slide my off/support hand back to a more comfortable (for me) postion rather than keeping it outstretched the duration of light use.

Really wish Inforce had a constant on setting instead of strobe for the WMLX...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I'll agree with Mat. I tried the Xes little brother (WML) at 12:00 and it didn't work well for me. The switch has to be pushed forward and down at the same time. Activating it was not at all natural for me. I ended up mounting it at 10:30 on an HSP 1913 mount. I also wouldn't get hung up on needing 500 lumens unless everything you do is outdoors. 500 will be tough on your eyes indoors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Really wish Inforce had a constant on setting instead of strobe for the WMLX...
    The WMLx has constant on ability. You use the throw lever to choose between a momentary only interface and a constant/momentary interface.

Here is how it works: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/08...-inforce-wmlx/

This is the relevant part from the link above:

You can push the lever rearward for a momentary only switch – the light will only activate while you are actively pressing the switch.

Move the lever forward for constant and strobe functionality. This mode will feel familiar to users of the Multi-Function WMLs but it has been improved significantly with the removal of the low mode. You can now access only High and Strobe from this mode. Strobe can be deactivated manually leaving only high mode. If you tap the switch, the light comes on and stays on. Tap it again to turn it off. If you press and hold the switch for more than a ½ second or so, it will turn off when you let go of the switch.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Here is another review of the WMLX : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs49YiGj1qQ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    The WMLx has constant on ability. You use the throw lever to choose between a momentary only interface and a constant/momentary interface
    Thank you very much for this. Honestly have no idea how I missed it when looking up both lights.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How long are your arms?

I will admit my arms arent very long at all, im fully stretched out on a 12" rail.

I dont think I could run a light at 12 oclock on a longer rail without using a pressure switch(which I am not fond of). I would love to run a 15" rail on a 20" A4 build I am getting ready to do, but I just dont think I can do with it what I want.