Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School carry loads--anybody still packing them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    straight shooter

IF..FORCED to use one old school load..it would be .45ACP 230gr. Ball. NOTHING else.
    Got only one choice over here. Still using FMJs which is better then praying.

Have since turned in the G19 and just carry the 44' dated Remington Rand along with a M14.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shoot the L9mm1 in low light and share with us what you observe. The range might light up like a 5"/54 was fired.

In my humble opinion, flash retardant is an important characteristic of a defensive round.
    Last edited by T2C; 11-19-14 at 10:23.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    IF..FORCED to use one old school load..it would be .45ACP 230gr. Ball. NOTHING else.
    Ball in any caliber is also a terrible choice. .45 ball is no better than 9 or 40 ball.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Please read what I said..."IF...FORCED to use one old school load".
    Also...you are factually DEAD WRONG about 45 ball being " no better" than9 or 40, but, that's an argument Im not inclined to get into, so you just have your opinion, Ill have mine.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I used to carry Ranger 115 +P+ for many years. It was abundant and cheap and could be had online for ~180-200 dollars per case (Pre craziness political upheaval of course).

One day I got crazy and decided to do some home ballistic testing. Needless to say after that day I stopped carrying them. Without my book in front of me I can say penetration never exceeded 10", fragmentation of almost every round through the mediums I was using, horrible weight retention and many cases of jacket separation.

I switched to Ranger 124 grain +P for 9MM and Ranger 180 grain for 40 S&W.

Recently I switched to Gold Dots in 180 grain for 40 and 135 +P in 38 SPC. 9MM will be the next to be changed to Gold Dots 124 grain +P once the Rangers are exhausted.

Are there better options than what you have listed? Yes. Will what you have listed work? Yes, caveat to that is, shot placement. The ammunition you have listed perform horribly when barriers are encountered. There's always better.

YMMV when it comes to the ammo circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Attachment 29784

Attachment 29785

Federal 9BP, 115 grain standard pressure load.

Attachment 29786

Attachment 29787

Attachment 29788

Remington L9mm1, 115 grain standard pressure load.

That's what I'm carrying on the mean streets. Anybody still packing old school?
    Last edited by davidjinks; 11-19-14 at 21:48. Reason: Horrible spelling

Feedback Score
    If I dig around my ammo stash I can come up with some Winchester Silver Tips in 9mm,
    and some Black Talons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh look, another ammo debate.

I don't see why someone would intentionally carry outdated defensive ammo when modern defensive ammo is readily available with demonstrably better terminal performance. Hell, you can find Critical Duty, HST, Gold Dots, and a lot of the other loads recommended by Doc Roberts (anyone remember him?) at the local sporting goods shop these days.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    Oh look, another ammo debate.

I don't see why someone would intentionally carry outdated defensive ammo when modern defensive ammo is readily available with demonstrably better terminal performance. Hell, you can find Critical Duty, HST, Gold Dots, and a lot of the other loads recommended by Doc Roberts (anyone remember him?) at the local sporting goods shop these days.
    I'd link to the DocGKR essays, but that'd probably get me banned. Haha. His stuff is still good reading. Of more recent note... read the memo from the FBI "justifying" their switch back to 9mm... it's more of an info-memo to LE agencies in general though, IMHO.

Save those old loads for the museum of SD ammo history!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    His stuff is still good reading.
    And updated pretty regularly, to boot.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Attachment 29784

Attachment 29785

Federal 9BP, 115 grain standard pressure load.

Attachment 29786

Attachment 29787

Attachment 29788

Remington L9mm1, 115 grain standard pressure load.

That's what I'm carrying on the mean streets. Anybody still packing old school?

I'd consider carrying those loads over hardball, but that's about it.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast