Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School carry loads--anybody still packing them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    And updated pretty regularly, to boot.
    Yup.

Now, if someone still had a box of the old "Glaser Safety Slugs" that would be fun to mess around with... are those even still in production?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    Yup.

Now, if someone still had a box of the old "Glaser Safety Slugs" that would be fun to mess around with... are those even still in production?
    As far as I know you can still get them.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Regarding "old school" ammo---I've been around these parts for quite some time---I USED to carry such ammo back in the day---the Fed.115 9BP---I've carried both the Rem. 115 and 115+P---actually, still have a good bit of it (bought at old school prices!)---these modern times require moden ammo---Federal 115+P+, HSTs, GoldDots, etc. the stuff is out there and available---how many SD rounds do most people expend? Certainly not in a SD situation...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The only use I have for outdated/ obsolete ammo is range/plinking time or breaking in a new gun in that caliber. Life is way too short to NOT buy current premium ammo for EDC. Coincidentally, about two months ago I purchased a ton of odd ball/obsolete 9mm ammo from an old timer who was relocating and cutting down his collection. Some loads Ive never seen before and others were ok back in the day for EDC/defensive use but no longer relevant at all now. All of it however will go into the practice/plinking/ break-in pile even though it was kept in ideal conditions and in original factory boxes.
    Last edited by GNXII; 11-21-14 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post

I don't see why someone would intentionally carry outdated defensive ammo when modern defensive ammo is readily available with demonstrably better terminal performance.
    Without speaking to the mindset of the OP, I think that a lot of it has to do with the "Well, back in my day..." attitude. I encounter it a LOT at work (L.E.). No matter how much you point to well-founded research and cold hard facts, some people simply won't let go of "I've always used xxxx and never had a problem..."
    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If out of the new fangled SD loads in 45 acp I carry standard 45 acp 230 gr ball without much personal issue with it. I don't think it is a bad round in 45 acp, but there are better choices today in 45. I usually like to keep my mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense loads though. HST if I can find them. In 9mm I only use 115 ball at the range otherwise its Hornady Critical Defense.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if Uni-Vibe has any relation to Univibe...

Quote Originally Posted by Univibe View Post
    Back to basics? 9mm?

Do you plan on using it to save your life from the depredations of nasty armed thugs?

There's only one: the cock and lock Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

That's the one to have with you when the fight starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Univibe View Post
    I can assure y'all that I'm quite serious. Say what you will about the wonder gun of the month; when the fight starts on the mean streets of the big city, and a 9mm is the only thing between me and the medical examiner's knife, make mine a BHP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had ZERO problems with old school ammo. But, I never shot anybody with it either. I'm fortunate to have a stash of the most modern defense ammo in standard caliber. Also I have a ton of the older premium ammo which shoots wonderfully in my pistols. I treasure it for its accuracy and reliability.

When we carry the 2 inch J frame(as I do), we should remember that velocity loss in the short barrel and cylinder gap may be giving us substandard performance comparable to 9mm old school ammo. Too, we're packing a 5 shooter requiring double action skills not common today. Without saying more, trade offs are the rule.
    Last edited by williejc; 11-21-14 at 14:54. Reason: clarity

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

.45 Black Talons!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    How old school do you want to get? I've got some hot (1100fps) 240gr hard-cast .44SPL. That load is almost a century old.

Disclaimer: I spend too much time reading the Cast Boolits board.
    Last edited by Yale; 11-21-14 at 17:09.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast