Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Old School carry loads--anybody still packing them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    Ball in any caliber is also a terrible choice. .45 ball is no better than 9 or 40 ball.
    Yet stacks of dead Germans in WW1 and WW2, Japanese in WW2, Chinese/North Koreans in Korea etc. somehow flopped over when hit by it. Either our grandpas were extremely lucky or the stuff worked somehow.

As for me, in 9x19 I carry Lehigh Defense's 115 grain Controlled Fracture stuff at the moment. I got lucky and won a couple boxes as a door prize at a match I went to. NASTY stuff. I was using 115gr Hornady Z Max, but figured hey if I have the Lehigh I'll use that instead. In .40, 180 gr plain jane Winchester JHP white box which looks identical to prior years' PDX bullets at half the cost, so I'm good with that. .380 for the BUG it's 88 grain Remington whatever their current flavor of HP is. Don't presently own a .45 but want to.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 12-01-14 at 23:14.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Yea in the Ruger LCR357.

The wife keeps it with the 147 gr Hydra shok +p+. I prefer Remington .357 158 gr SJHP's.

If I end up burning through what we have I'll probably get the mild-.357 135 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel rounds. Other contenders would be the Hornady 125 gr .357 critical defense or more remington .357 158 gr SJHP's.

The 158 gr SJHP's expand fine in my informal testing as did the 147 gr Hydrashoks. And surprisingly so do Federal 180 gr SJHP's...weird.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    People put down 200lb+ pigs with a .22LR. You cannot compare hunting to SD as the animal your hunting isn't trying to kill you, or hiding behind cars, walls, or wearing clothes. When they are trying to kill you people use large bore rifles (safari?).
    If someone is hiding behind a car or wall I ain't hanging around-I'll be scooting my white little Flip butt outta dodge faster then you can say "shazam!"

Clothes? that's why I keep shooting,the idiot's going to get the idea to get the hell away from me..or die,whichever comes first.

I'm not a cop,there's no reason for me to get in a gun battle,I plan on firing a few shots and then it's over or I'm high tailing it the other way and calling the cops so they can do their job.

99% of that I can do with regular old JHP,plain vanilla.

If I start getting into shoot outs I'll upgrade.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Yet stacks of dead Germans in WW1 and WW2, Japanese in WW2, Chinese/North Koreans in Korea etc. somehow flopped over when hit by it. Either our grandpas were extremely lucky or the stuff worked somehow...
    A lot of terrorist have been killed by 9mm ball as well. It still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    If someone is hiding behind a car or wall I ain't hanging around-I'll be scooting my white little Flip butt outta dodge faster then you can say "shazam!"

What if you're pinned down? What if dude is between you and exit? What if he's engaging a loved one? There's a ridiculous number of variables.

Clothes? that's why I keep shooting,the idiot's going to get the idea to get the hell away from me..or die,whichever comes first.

I'm not a cop,there's no reason for me to get in a gun battle[better ammo ends the fight faster],I plan on firing a few shots and then it's over or I'm high tailing it the other way and calling the cops so they can do their job.

99% of that I can do with regular old JHP,plain vanilla. Whats regular and how is the new stuff not regular - its the same concept just with better process control and tweaked design.

If I start getting into shoot outs I'll upgrade.
    That's fine. You don't have to justify it to me. Its worth $30 to me to have more options. YMMV.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-02-14 at 05:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some old school loads probably sucked. Most of them performed very well then and perform very well now. Yes, people wore clothes back then too.

Modern ammo is not some magic talisman and older ammo is not worthless.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    All my old HP ammo will be burned up in the G19 gen4 I am ordering-might as well use the stuff for practice. One round I found lying around (in an old G19 mag) was from 1989, the first box of ammo I ever bought!

Feedback Score
    My agency had two shootings when we had 9mm. our issue round was the 9bp. both were one stop shots drt. On one the round went through a windshield into the suspects chest and stayed within him. The other was a headshot. THe round worked. YMMV We have since evolved to 40 utilizing the 165 Gold Dot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe all of that Triton Quick-Shok that I stocked up in .45ACP might not have been a bad investment (they were only $13 per 50).

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...?TOPIC_ID=7649

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've still got a mag full of silver tips somewhere, probably in a 228 mag.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    Yup.

Now, if someone still had a box of the old "Glaser Safety Slugs" that would be fun to mess around with... are those even still in production?
    Responded to one shot at an auto parts store a few years ago. Several .45 acp casings laying about. The employee took one round in the left bicep, a through and through with equal entrance and exit wounds (most likely ball ammo). He also
    complained of abdominal pain. When cutting his clothing off a gray powdery substance fell out. A glazer round had hit him in the belt buckle. Left a red welt on his lower abdomen. Lucky for him the robber used crap ammo.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456