Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dissapointed with cerakote on Aero precision receivers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Cerakote is tougher than everyday paint but it is still paint. I guess you could split hairs and call it a coating but paint is also a coating. Anodizing is a process that changes the color and surface hardness of the aluminum. It is not a coating. In my opinion what you are seeing is normal.
    Indeed.

Feedback Score
    I've dropped a cerakoted rifle about 5 feet onto a stone driveway with no ill effects, same rifle has in the neighborhood of 2500 rounds through it and the only real finish wear is on the case deflector. I'd say shoddy prep. That said it isn't an indestructible finish but you do have to put some work into messing it up. My 2 cents anyway.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    My BCM HSP Jack that is cerakoted by (???? I dont know) has wear from ejection port door hitting the lower after 500 rounds on it. Dont care really. Same with my DD in Mil-Spec Brown pretty much out of the box. I would run it. More hassle to be sending stuff back and forth in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 11-20-14 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateebumpo View Post
    I've dropped a cerakoted rifle about 5 feet onto a stone driveway with no ill effects, same rifle has in the neighborhood of 2500 rounds through it and the only real finish wear is on the case deflector. I'd say shoddy prep. That said it isn't an indestructible finish but you do have to put some work into messing it up. My 2 cents anyway.
    2500 rounds is nothing. Is there wear wear the ejection port cover contacts the receiver when open? Even with cerokote, I would expect some wear showing there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nateebumpo View Post

DAM! 5' onto a stone driveway!?>? I had a sh!t when mine fell off the bed onto padded Carpet floor, I can't even think how or what I would have felt dropping her
    on stones and from 5' too!

Well I'm looking on the bright side here, atleast it wasn't my PDW landing in the stones...

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I have already emailed them about it, I am awaiting a response.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    It's what you should have done before starting the post. This thread should have been closed long ago.

Feedback Score
    I agree that first action should have been to contact Aero. I also can't help but wonder if that set you purchased was the on sale pieces that were ~ $65 upper and $66 lower? While not blem pieces; that may have been why they were on sale?

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I'm not sure why you think this thread should be locked, its not like they are not functional I was just stating they are not what i expected. Yes they are the ones that were on sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    2500 rounds is nothing. Is there wear wear the ejection port cover contacts the receiver when open? Even with cerokote, I would expect some wear showing there.

Well to be fair, the thing has only been together since July so I think it's a fairly respectable round count for the time it's seen use and it's not a gun I run near as much as others in the stable. As far as wear on the lower from the port cover, it's a shiny buffed line with no finish actually missing though I guess it is still wear regardless. Same on the buffer tube from the leaf springs in a ti-7 stock, shiny and buffed pair of lines but not missing finish. Also forgot about wear under the optic mount (adm mount fwiw.) The pic rail on the upper under the mount is rubbed shiny where it sits with a few small spots that have worn through to anodizing underneath. Other than that, the stuff is solid and far more durable than I would have imagined it could be.

To the height it fell, it was laying the bed rail of my truck and a buddy hopped on the tailgate to sit and down it went. Stupid on my part to put it there to begin with but it is what is. I wasn't happy about it but it was done and proved to me how durable a kmr handguard and magpul pro front sights are, so some good knowledge came off it. Nothing bent or broke and the sight just folded down and you can't tell by looking at it that anything ever happened, once I cleaned the stone dust off of it. Where the handguard hit, you can see a smudge sort of but no cerakote chipped off and you really have to look to see it.

Don't know what else to say other than, applied properly cerakote is some stupid tough stuff though it is still paint and can be damaged (but it takes some doing), ime anyway.
    Last edited by nateebumpo; 11-22-14 at 13:43. Reason: spell check

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast