Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Flash Hider timing

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Surefire Flash Hider timing

Installed my SF3P-556 on my MK18 tonight. I could not get the flash hider to time exactly straight up and down. I'm slightly OCD about things like this. I'm assuming this won't cause an issue. I tried the purple shim and it would only time with about 15 foot pounds. The next size up is the no-color shim and its with 30 foot pounds. This is whats on there now. I could probably get it to time with 35 foot pounds, but I dont believe that is recommended.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Have you torqued it, then loosened it, and then re torqued it a couple times to see if that give you a little more rotation?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It seemed to line up better before I added the rockset. I tried loosening it and re-torquing it once but it didnt seem to help. Perhaps I shall try it a few more times.

Feedback Score
    Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to find the right combo. Go to 35 ft/lbs and back it off several time then see if it goes at 30 ft/lbs. The reason we don't want you going way above 30 ft/lbs is because it can constrict the bore at the crown.
    Garin Lee
    SureFire Suppressor Division
    Garin@SureFire.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you tried using a combinations of two shims to get a value between the two high/lows you have?

Also.. how much rockset? A few drops of rockset shouldn't change the timing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Have you tried using a combinations of two shims to get a value between the two high/lows you have?

This. AND throw that timing wheel SF gave you in the garbage. I have installed a ton of these things, and the damn thing NEVER works with the wheel. The only info SF gives you that you might want is the thickness of the shims. Keep playing with different combos and you will find one that will work to make it perfect. I am OCD like you and require all of mine to line up perfect.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhited View Post
    This. AND throw that timing wheel SF gave you in the garbage.
    No shit about that! I had a guy come over for a bunch of work on a 6933... and God bless him.. he wanted to help with the mount install part of the job.... and insisted on using that God damned tard wheel. Painful.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I sometimes use a super thin piece of peel washer to keep the torque on low end of the scale.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    I sometimes use a super thin piece of peel washer to keep the torque on low end of the scale.
    He's ALIVE!!!

Yeah... those are handy. I keep a twisty tie with all kinds of peel washer slices and stuff looped on it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudu22 View Post
    Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to find the right combo. Go to 35 ft/lbs and back it off several time then see if it goes at 30 ft/lbs. The reason we don't want you going way above 30 ft/lbs is because it can constrict the bore at the crown.
    Thank you. I will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

No, I would have to use a combination that allowed for one more complete rotation... and I wasnt sure how to accomplish that.

I dunno, just used enough to get all the threads wet So probably to much. Maybe I should start over... is this going to be a PITA to get loose? How do you clean off rockset?

Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Good idea, maybe i'll pick one up to try another combo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast