Thread: SIG 556 SBR Charlie Foxtrot

Feedback Score

SIG 556 SBR Charlie Foxtrot

I have built a couple of AR and a couple of AK SBRs.

I like to DO things,
    so end up doing stuff like an SBR build vs. just buying a COLT factory SBR that would make more sense.

I like the ergonomics of the AR, but the true folding stock nature of the AK.

Without a true folding stock AR option, I looked at other platforms.

My HKs, while a mag release and safety like an AR place them out of reach.

I handled a SIG, and while the mag release and safeties are closer than the HK, they are still not quite AR ergonomics. SCAR, Beretta and some other platforms were still to pending, pricey, etc.

While the charging handle is on the right and the bolt hold is not ideal, they are not any less ideal than the standard AR set up.

I thought a SIG SBR would be the way to go.

I priced getting a classic P556 and buying a lower vs. adding a stock.

I actually found one already built, and still in new condition from a company, for less than I could buy a P556 and rifle lower for. Plus it was the railed version, had intrinsic backup sights, and a factory RDS.

I went for it.

I got the gun and spare pistol lower, and they were what I expected and I was cool with that.

I have the YNM Phantom QD FH to put on, and can use my 7.62 M2 Phantom can while waiting for my 5.56 M2 Phantom can.

Again, cool with that. My 7.62 can for everything works great, I just want a little less length and weight for some of my SBRs and am graduating to a dedicated 5.56 can.

The factory RDS,
    I can't believe SIG put their name on it.
    Fair enough, it is like a Primary Arms type RDS that will be fine until all the T1s (I hope) go on sale with the new micros out.

My main issue concerns the intrinsic back up sights.

The front is a rudimentary blade that does not even stop in true vertical position. I could live with that, but it seems to be of a different height than the rear. Or at least more off than I think it should be.

And it is not like it is an easy on/off sight either.

And when I got to the rear,
    Jesus,
    I had to double check and make sure it said SIG and not Kel Tec on the side of the gun.
    It is a thin metal, with tension screw sliding window adjustment.
    Plus it opens ass backwards.

Ok, as I try to come to grips with the cheap RDS,
    and Gilligan's Island workmanship BUIS,
    the sights are too tall to witness with the RDS.

It is like peeling an onion of fail, with one layer of fail after another with trying to get your sighting on with this.

So,
    is there a standard rear sight to order to go with the front?

Also,
    what size riser/
    model RDS combo are people using on these?

The other oddity is the hook rings for sling attachment.

I mean, hooks vs. a modern sling attachment system will go great with an LCE and some other outdated crap.
    (Even Beretta just came out with a brand new carbine without updated sling attachments)

Anyways,
    I don't hate the gun.

I just need a solution to my sighting woes.

Any tips appreciated.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Here is the rear sight to go with your front sight.

http://mfiap.com/i-8355698-mfi-sig-5...ear-sight.html

Feedback Score
    Thanks,
    no elevation adjustment,
    but I don't have a lot of faith in the nail fail tension sliding abortion factory piece.

The height on this sight set up seems really odd as well. The brochure shows the factory RDS on with the sights, but the sights line up OVER the RDS with an adjustment know blocking the view, and my small riser puts the RDS too high.

Just odd.

At least it shoots cheap TULA like a champ.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If I'm not mistaken, Midwest and Samson Mfg both make replacement front sights that are standard height, so you can use any standard AR rear sight.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think standard AR height sights will be too tall with the swiss style stock. Troy has a set of micro flip ups you might want to look at. MFI has a similar front sight but might be better quality. http://mfiap.com/i-8355707-mfi-sig-5...-up-sight.html

My Sig has the rear diopter sight and the front sight is hooded. The same thin rear sight is also on there. I have a PA T1 knock off mounted on an American Defense Mfg CAS-V mount. Its just a hair too high to co-witness though. I have not tried it with the thin rear sight.