Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Pistol

Feedback Score

AR-15 Pistol

Can one use a AR-15 Pistol in a 3G or a IDPA match as your pistol? I would think you could in IDPA cause its defensive pistol shooting. I don't see it listed on either home sites. And If one can are there ammo restraints. In a 3G comp. would be smart to use all AR style stuff like a AR style shotgun and AR-15's for rifle and pistol? Also it keeps one from needing two different mag pouches.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score

AR-15 Pistol

While I don't have extensive experience with idpa or their rules, I know that at least one category has a regulation sized "box" the pistol must fit into be used.

No AR pistol is going to fit into it... Ever. Even without a barrel, the upper/lower receivers would be a stretch. Add the pistol grip, and it's oversized. Won't even fit the buffer tube.

Seems to be for all classes: "The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 3⁄4” x 6” x 1 5/8”.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422018292.781136.jpg
    Last edited by the 556 guy; 01-23-15 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    Thats only IDPA but what about 3G
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I just checked the rules for IDPA - all classes have the same size box. Sorry.

Maybe 3G will give you a better answer

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-24-15 at 18:17. Reason: Ads

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Usually a minimum caliber is required which will be 9mm/ .38. I don't see any advantage gained by using an AR style pistol. It will not point as fast, more muzzle blast, weight & holster issues are a few off the top of my head.

ETA- I assumed you meant .223 in the pistol. I guess you could run a 9mm but I still don't see any advantages.
    you can shoulder a AR-15 Pistol with the buffer tube which in my case will improve accuracy and if one could do it in any caliber it be nice but I would like to be able to run it in .223 if possible.
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    you can shoulder a AR-15 Pistol with the buffer tube which in my case will improve accuracy and if one could do it in any caliber it be nice but I would like to be able to run it in .223 if possible.
    According to the latest BATFE letter regarding the Sig brace that action could potentially make your pistol into a SBR.

I highly doubt you can do that within the rules of 3G because it is testing your skills in three firearm disiplines, not 2.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-24-15 at 18:30. Reason: Ads

Feedback Score
    Rifle like pistols have been tried in a few competitive environments. This reminds me of the rule changes that came around in rimfire pistol shooting after the Ruger charger. A few notable folks began cheek wielding the Ruger charger in the rimfire pistol class. Rules were changed to state the rimfire pistol must be held with hands as only 2 points of contact.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    You also have to consider close range steel that is very common in competition shooting. An AR style pistol would be a hazard to all involved on steel (including the steel) at 10 yards. Or, just imagine a stage description that starts with 'Using your weak hand only....". As stated above it is called "3 gun" for a reason.

An AR style pistol match would have to be designed from the get go with the idea that people will be using AR style pistols. You should contact a local range that puts on matches and run your idea by them.
    If your worried about the splash then use DRT frangible ammo which is meant for close range steel.
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast