Thread: Best can for 300Blk SBR?

Feedback Score

Best can for 300Blk SBR?

Leaning towards either an Omega or a Socom 300SPS. Omega's about $200 cheaper and comes with mounts so it's more like a $340 difference.
    I have some other guns with Surefire mounts, but I'm thinking this will be a dedicated can for 300blk. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
    Leaning towards either an Omega or a Socom 300SPS. Omega's about $200 cheaper and comes with mounts so it's more like a $340 difference.
    I have some other guns with Surefire mounts, but I'm thinking this will be a dedicated can for 300blk. Thoughts?
    I couldn't decide for myself. I actually have both on order. The Omega is lighter and shorter (only a hair over 6 inches in direct thread mode and with the flat endcap). I'm going to use that on a dedicated 300blk upper for the wife. The 300 SPS was bought for my 300blk rifle, for which I already had a Surefire mount on it.

If going direct thread/flat endcap: Omega
    If going mounts: 300 SPS (so you can use it on other rifles that you have mounts for).
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    What about the direct thread Surefire 300blk can?

I went overboard and have a Ti 9.25" suppressor. Makes for a very quiet experience standing 5 feet away. Tames 5.56 well, just not designed for high ROF.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
    I don't have either, but I do have SureFire cans... I prefer their mounting system, and hate having cans that only fit certain guns, therefore I would lean towards SureFire, for versatility
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    Crux Nemesis30

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    Honestly, my Surefire 762 socom is my least impressive (and most expensive) can. It's not entirely worthless, but I'll never buy another Surefire can just based on cost vs performance. I've never shot the Omega, but my buddy loves his and runs it on a variety of his guns.

Obviously not on your list, but I run a Liberty Mystic on my 300 and a variety of other guns.

Are you actually planning to use it on 300 Win Mag? If not, you can save a bundle of cash by not buying a can rated for it. If you want to use it on .308, but not 300 WinMag, downgrade to a 308 can to save money. If 300BLK is the largest you're planning to use, most 9mm cans will work and be half the cost of what you're looking at. I've shot my BLK through my Osprey9, Octane45HD, and Mystic9. Ironically, I've never shot it through my Socom762 to compare - that's only ridden 308's.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    Honestly, my Surefire 762 socom is my least impressive (and most expensive) can. It's not entirely worthless, but I'll never buy another Surefire can just based on cost vs performance. I've never shot the Omega, but my buddy loves his and runs it on a variety of his guns.

Obviously not on your list, but I run a Liberty Mystic on my 300 and a variety of other guns.

Are you actually planning to use it on 300 Win Mag? If not, you can save a bundle of cash by not buying a can rated for it. If you want to use it on .308, but not 300 WinMag, downgrade to a 308 can to save money. If 300BLK is the largest you're planning to use, most 9mm cans will work and be half the cost of what you're looking at. I've shot my BLK through my Osprey9, Octane45HD, and Mystic9. Ironically, I've never shot it through my Socom762 to compare - that's only ridden 308's.
    The SOCOM762-RC was built around a higher pressure curve (i.e. military rounds). Mine sucks on 300blk subsonic too. That's why they designed the Genesis and 300 SPS suppressors, and they supposedly test at 120-122 db.

I have a 300 SPS in jail right now.

Once released I'll be able to test it against an Omega, and Saker.

For strictly 300 blackout, the Omega or TBAC Ultra 7 are tough to beat for length/weight/suppression ratio. I plan on using an Omega in direct thread mode for my wife's 300blk AR.... (6", 14 oz, and sub 124db is very impressive).
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I've never fired my 762-RC on 300BLK at all, it's pretty much garbage for suppression on 7.62 out of a variety of hosts. Like I said, it's not a terrible can, but it's very, very far from impressive. Once you factor in the cost, it's pretty much unacceptable. The numbers Surefire gave me on this can were 126dB on 18" 308 full power. Everyone who's been around when it's fired can attest that it's plenty loud enough to ring ears.

I have not fired the 300SPS, so I can't attest to that can at all. I haven't been impressed with the sound reduction of any of the SF cans I have shot, but of the SOCOM line that mostly includes minis, so that's kind of a given. Certainly not saying they're not quality cans, but if you're prioritizing sound reduction, and if money is a factor, I think just about anyone who's shot a variety of cans will agree that Surefire are about the worst bang for the buck in terms of reduction.

Feedback Score
    What attributes do you find most important in a can? Sound pressure levels, different forms of back pressure or blowback, in terms of operation, POI shifts, repeatability, seizing, ease of use, durability, size, weight, cost, etc, the list goes on.
    What are the priority needs? If that's not thought out, than the compromise in the different offerings may not suit all for all for others with different priorities
    What is the host platform? That does change things some.
    How can someone make a suggestion to benefit use without knowing what the use emphasis is?

Feedback Score
    I've bought two on form 4 (Wraith & a Saker) and built two on form 1 (Hop22 & Hop50). I can't say I'll never buy one again but making them is pretty damn fun and performance is very very good for the money.
    Last edited by Hop; 12-29-15 at 22:50.