Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying NFA stuff specifically for the kids?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Buying NFA stuff specifically for the kids?

A while back I posted a thread on what handguns to buy and put away for the kids. Both for collectability purposes (1911’s, etc.) and practical ones (hi-cap 9mm, etc.). I received some great feedback and advice in that post and would like to expand on it a bit…

I put away some pistols for them along with some magazines and ammo. I also bought them each a Colt 6920.

With 41P and who-knows-what other nonsense the bureaucratic machine may come up with, I am thinking of covering their NFA base now.

I know no one can tell the future. My kids are just 7 and 9 now and are listed as beneficiaries of my trust. When they are old enough I can amend the trust to add them as members or (if possible) create a new trust for each of them and transfer the items to their trust. After paying whatever the stamp would cost by then, of course. Basically, I think the legal aspect is as covered as its going to be.

I am thinking about SBR’s; specifically Colt 6933’s. Cost isn’t really an issue and I don’t want to form 1 lowers. I am specifically looking at factory 6933’s.

Besides just the standard inheritance thing, have any of you bought and put away NFA stuff specifically for the kids? SBR’s? Suppressors? Anything else?

I really am not buying myself more hardware. I have enough stuff. These would most likely be never even fired until they receive them.

I know that by the time they are old enough they may be able to buy phased plasma pulse rifles in the 40-watt range, but just in case…. Can’t hurt to have a few choice items available…

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Coming from a family that would just as soon rob you than have you over for dinner:

I don't buy shit for anybody but me.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had one extra M4-1000 silencer that was unfired and socked away. But Pappabear made me shoot it. Neither of our son(s) are that thrilled with shooting. So they'll get what they get.

6933s are a nice investment. A couple of cans to go with them isn't a bad idea. Even with my outdated 18t mount system, I still had a few mounts that kept my discontinued can very usable in the future.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Besides just the standard inheritance thing, have any of you bought and put away NFA stuff specifically for the kids? SBR’s? Suppressors? Anything else?

I really am not buying myself more hardware. I have enough stuff. These would most likely be never even fired until they receive them.

I know that by the time they are old enough they may be able to buy phased plasma pulse rifles in the 40-watt range, but just in case…. Can’t hurt to have a few choice items available…
    Not really bought just for children, but certainly have some NFA stuff that was chosen with them (and the wife) in mind. They're noise sensitive, so have enough for everyone to shoot quiet.

For your situation - if you have the money there's absolutely no reason not to. It's not like it's going to get easier to buy later.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Leaving stuff for your children is one of the best reasons for using a trust even if your CLEO will sign off for you. I definitely have made decisions and purchases with my children in mind. And, items available now may not be available in the future.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    With 41P
    What's 41P?

I am thinking about SBR’s; specifically Colt 6933’s. Cost isn’t really an issue and I don’t want to form 1 lowers. I am specifically looking at factory 6933’s.
    How they will appreciate obviously depends on how far in to the future Colt continues to make them. However, SBR's are significantly more difficult to sell, especially if you want to time the market just right at the peak of a panic. I think you'd be better off with a non-SBR Colt. If you do decide to buy a SBR as an investment, definitely only buy a factory SBR.

Personally, I just buy what I like. Over the years I've realized that I must have pretty good taste in guns because almost all of the guns I have purchased have gone up in value. I've out performed the gun market so to speak. If that benefits my children, the great. However, it's not the point of me buying guns.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A while back I posted a thread on what handguns to buy and put away for the kids. Both for collectability purposes (1911’s, etc.) and practical ones (hi-cap 9mm, etc.). I received some great feedback and advice in that post and would like to expand on it a bit…
    I put away some pistols for them along with some magazines and ammo. I also bought them each a Colt 6920.
    With 41P and who-knows-what other nonsense the bureaucratic machine may come up with, I am thinking of covering their NFA base now.
    I know no one can tell the future. My kids are just 7 and 9 now and are listed as beneficiaries of my trust. When they are old enough I can amend the trust to add them as members or (if possible) create a new trust for each of them and transfer the items to their trust. After paying whatever the stamp would cost by then, of course. Basically, I think the legal aspect is as covered as its going to be.
    Time-value of money considered - spend that money just taking them shooting, going on memorable trips, and towards their education. Make them into decent humans (preferable well-read well-traveled and knowledgeable about something they're passionate about), see if they enjoy shooting, and then at that point they could get anything cool they want for themselves, and anything you pass down will just have added sentimental value. Given that technology is constantly making stuff obsolete (at some point we'll have carbon fiber wrapped titanium cans with advanced high nickel baffle stacks that will be lighter/quieter/sexier than anything available now, etc.) just spend it on stuff that makes their experiences better NOW, and save the rest to take advantage of the awesomeness of compound interest.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    A suppressor will be out dated, a registered sbr lower likely won't be, using a good tryst, you can add trustees and beneficiaries later.

Best items for collecting and passing on would probably be a smart 1911 (and watch) that will appreciate

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I wonder what machine gun prices will be like in 20 years....
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    The stuff you buy now short of an MG will be old and outdated. How do you know they will even like guns? Let alone want to be responsible for an NFA item? 21 year old kids are not the brightest either. The odds of them selling it to buy beer and a junky car are extremely high. Leave them a college fund and a pocket watch.
    Last edited by John Rambo; 11-22-14 at 01:07.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast