Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools

Feedback Score

Tools

Yes, I've seen the sticky at the top of the page, and I've searched, too...

I'm about to get my first AR, and I'm trying to figure out which AR-specific tools I'll really need (if any).

I've already got a garage full of normal tools (I maintain my own cars and motorcycles), and I've got some specific tools for working on my M1 Carbine and M1A.
    I don't mind buying special tools that I'll need and use, but I don't want to spend good money on stuff that's just going to become useless clutter.

I'm only going to have one AR, and I'm looking for what I need to do very basic disassembly/assembly for cleaning and maintenance.
    I am not going to assemble my own upper receiver or remove the barrel or anything like that, so I don't want a barrel extension wrench or an action block or a barrel nut wrench or a barrel vice. My stock is already installed and staked, so I don't want a stock wrench (if it breaks or I want a different stock, then I'll buy a wrench with the new stock).

Specifically:

1. I do need a bolt disassembly tool, right? Does everybody agree that the Schuster from Adco is the way to go?

1a. Is a "bolt ejector tool" the same as a "bolt disassembly tool?" If not, do I need one?

2. Do I need a front sight adjustment tool? I've heard of people using pliers to adjust the front sight, and I figure once it's done, then it's done.

3. Do I need a carbon scraper? This is a gimmick, right?

4. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some thoughts....

1. A front sight tool is highly recommended and not pliers.

2. Get a good combination armorer wrench. You can change barrels, tighten butt-stocks, and flash hiders.

3. Get a good punches- Roll pin, starter and regular.

4. I don't think a carbon scrapper is necesary if you clean regularly and correctly.

5. Get a good Tech. Manual and make sure you understand anything that you are doing before you do it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you buy a Colt/LMT/Noveske and don't run it hard- you probably don't need any of that.
    A front sight adjustment tool is nice but you don't really need it if you only plan on having 1 AR. You can use the tip of a live round to turn the front sight tip, set it and forget it.
    A broken case extractor is nice though, just in case... You really don't need the bolt disassembly tool- if you buy a quality AR your first time you shouldn't need to change your ejector spring for a while. The extractor/spring and be removed by pushing down on the rear of the extractor and your firing pin will push out the extractor retaining pin.

My personal opinion on AR tools is why plan to only fix one problem...you will be prepared for the one thing that never goes wrong. I'm an "all or nothing" type.

Get some blue Loctite and use it on your accessories you don't want coming loose otherwise, they will come loose.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    If you buy a Colt/LMT/Noveske and don't run it hard- you probably don't need any of that.
    A front sight adjustment tool is nice but you don't really need it if you only plan on having 1 AR. You can use the tip of a live round to turn the front sight tip, set it and forget it.
    I agree. I don't have any of that stuff, and I run 5 different ARs.

I just use the bullet tip too. If someone happens to have a sight tool on the rare occasion that I'm zeroing some Irons, I'll use it. But I can live without it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Some thoughts....

1. A front sight tool is highly recommended and not pliers.

2. Get a good combination armorer wrench. You can change barrels, tighten butt-stocks, and flash hiders.

3. Get a good punches- Roll pin, starter and regular.

4. I don't think a carbon scrapper is necesary if you clean regularly and correctly.

5. Get a good Tech. Manual and make sure you understand anything that you are doing before you do it.
    Thanks...

1. Where can I get an inexpensive front sight tool? I don't need anything fancy. I figure that once I've got the front sight set (if it needs adjustment at all), then it'll probably stay there for the rest of my life...

2. Hmmm... I don't want to change barrels, tighten buttstocks, or remove flash hiders. I've seen these around, and everybody seems to have one, but I don't really understand how I might ever use one.

3. I've got some punches, and I'll get more if necessary. I don't think punches are AR-specific.

4. I guess if I have problems cleaning the inside of the bolt carrier, then I'll consider a carbon scraper...

5. I'm reading Kuleck's AR-15 Owner's Guide, and I've downloaded the DoD tech manual (and I browse here a lot). Is there something else I should read?

Thanks again!

Ben

Feedback Score
    Good! That's one less tool to buy and store...

A broken case extractor is nice though, just in case...
    OK. I've got one of these for my M1A. I've never used it, but it's been cheap peace of mind.

You really don't need the bolt disassembly tool- if you buy a quality AR your first time you shouldn't need to change your ejector spring for a while.
    I plan to keep this gun 'til I die, and I'm 34 and healthy. Eventually I'm going to need to disassemble the bolt.
    Does the tool work, or not? There's somebody on Midway's site who reviewed the Schuster tool and couldn't make it work.
    On the other hand, the M1 Carbine tool is well worth the cost — I can't imagine trying to assemble the bolt without it.

My personal opinion on AR tools is why plan to only fix one problem...you will be prepared for the one thing that never goes wrong. I'm an "all or nothing" type.
    Amen. I'm buying an "ultimate" spare parts kit and a spare complete bolt, too. If it's something I can fix, then I want to be able to fix it, pronto.

Get some blue Loctite and use it on your accessories you don't want coming loose otherwise, they will come loose.
    What accessories? I'm a bit old school and will keep it very simple.

Ben

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Does the tool work, or not? There's somebody on Midway's site who reviewed the Schuster tool and couldn't make it work.

Amen. I'm buying an "ultimate" spare parts kit and a spare complete bolt, too. If it's something I can fix, then I want to be able to fix it, pronto.

What accessories? I'm a bit old school and will keep it very simple.

Ben
    Ben, There is always some window licker out there that needs to be hit with a tack hammer; the Schuster or Brownells one will work fine, but you really don't need it for a few thousand rounds.
    The cheapest set of punches is the Model 1 set, Bravo Company has them. They are not the best but for the money they work fine and fit in a range bag easily.
    When you buy your spare parts kit- get a full LMT lower parts kit for G and R Tactical.
    By accessories I mean any "bolt/screw on" part you buy that didn't come with the rifle. An AR can shake loose just about anything you put on it, use the Loctite, here me now and believe me later...it's cheap.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Ben, There is always some window licker out there that needs to be hit with a tack hammer; the Schuster or Brownells one will work fine, but you really don't need it for a few thousand rounds.
    The cheapest set of punches is the Model 1 set, Bravo Company has them. They are not the best but for the money they work fine and fit in a range bag easily.
    When you buy your spare parts kit- get a full LMT lower parts kit for G and R Tactical.
    By accessories I mean any "bolt/screw on" part you buy that didn't come with the rifle. An AR can shake loose just about anything you put on it, use the Loctite, here me now and believe me later...it's cheap.
    OK. I'll get the Schuster tool. And I'll do it now, because otherwise I'll forget it. And I've ordered a CMMG, so if all the Noveske/LMT/Colt fans are right and I do have to futz with the extractor, then I'll need the bolt tool.

I thought of just buying an extra lower parts kit, but I want all the spare pins and springs for the upper half, too... I know that DPMS is cheesy, but their "ultimate" kit makes perfect sense to me.

And I have some Loctite somewhere, but there won't be anything bolted or screwed on my AR that didn't come as part of the rifle — there's nothing extra bolted or screwed on my M1A or M1 Carbine, either! The only accessory I anticipate getting is a Turner sling...

Ben

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    OK. ... and I do have to futz with the extractor, then I'll need the bolt tool.

Ben
    The bolt tool is actually for the ejector- you don't need a bolt tool to remove/replace the extractor (or spring/insert).
    That's why I say you don't need that tool- it's really only for replacing the ejector/ejector spring. Honestly it's a waste to buy it when the gun is new- I'm not sure the exact interval for replacing the ejector spring but probably not until 2-3 thousand rounds.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    By the time you need to replace the ejector/ejector spring, you are due for a new bolt anyway. Take care of the ejector (clean and lube occasionally) and it will last for a loooong time.

Carbon scraper- no need. There are pleanty of other methods that are just as good or better options.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast