Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with AAC 7.62 sdn6

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I had this problem with an early production Mini4. What happens is some of the teeth on the latches don't get heat treated properly and they round off. I contacted AAC and had my can back to me with a fixed latch and a new finish in less than 3 weeks. All shipping was on their dime.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a few SDN-6s... all are fine but I DO depress the latch to prevent any excess wear.

I agree that it might be a heat treating issue (case hardened or just oil quenched)... I do think the muzzle breaks (51T) are hardened (think, not know).

If both are hardened, neither should wear.

I don't lube my SDN latch (due to my install/removal depression of the latch).

Just my approach/results

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depress the latch while you mount the can, releasing it only to engage the last few teeth and ensure lockup. I've taken a 51-tooth can off many, many times over 5 years without any issues.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Spoke with AAC customer service this morning.

The gentleman I spoke with said this is to be expected, as the latch has a wear cycle of 500 installations/removals?

I was quoted at least two weeks for replacement of the latch assembly, depending on the workload of warranty service.

I inquired about waiting until after rifle season has passed to send it in, as this is my only centerfire suppressor.

He stated that I needed to get in in before quickly so it could be turned around before SHOT.

After SHOT, there will be no RMA's issued for several months until the facility is relocated to AL. So seems I'm not left with many options. Either now, or April-May of next year with a 4 month backlog.

This is the first i've heard of this 500 installs/removals rating, and for a suppressor touted as a multi caliber, multi gun setup, I have to say I'm less than impressed I was able to cause a failure in less than one month.

My overall opinion of the suppressor has been great up until this point. However, I will reserve final judgment until I'm through the warranty process and have another couple hundred installs/removals on the new latch.
    Last edited by GrahamKAC; 11-25-14 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Well that can is in the hands of UPS and should arrive Monday.

Does anybody who has had their latch replaced or has had a can sent back for a warranty issue with AAC care to share what the turn around time was?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was about 3 weeks door to door. Probably a year ago that I sent it in. No further issues so far. Smoked a 'yote with it last weekend and it was a joy.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Nice. I'm hoping it's not a long process. Perhaps I just got a bad latch that wasn't hardened properly. Guess we will know after I get it back and get some more use on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12