Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Wilson Combat Glock sights - out of spec or not enough filing/sanding?

Feedback Score

Installing Wilson Combat Glock sights - out of spec or not enough filing/sanding?

I picked up a set of these a couple weeks back. Installing the front sight was a standard affair, no issues. However, the rear was super tight. Instructions said that minor fitting may be needed, and I did have a fine jewelry file and emery cloth/fine sandpaper to assist, but it was still too tight. Procedure of literally trying to tap it in, remove, file/clean, carefully tap in, repeat (with a vice and plastic punch). Instructions advised that "minor fitting" may be required. I carefully filed/sanded/buffed the areas where it contacts into the dovetail - to the point the finish was coming off and repeated the fitting process. After spending hours trying to tap it in carefully, I used a sight pusher tool to wedge it in and marred up the side of the rear sight. I ordered a new rear sight to replace this as Wilson said they don't refund/exchange sights if it's been installed (especially since it could be operator error here), but I did not see anyone else having issues installing these rear sights.

Are these sights out of spec or am I doing something wrong? If the latter, it was an expensive mistake that I don't want to repeat. Never had issues with installing other sights, namely Ameriglo. I also had a gunsmith who had installed a ton of sights look into it, and he stated he never seen a sight that tight on a Glock before either.

And just to be clear - I'm not bashing Wilson Combat - just wanted some quick feedback so I know not to mess up the replacement I just ordered.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 04-20-15 at 02:08.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Read this, best explanation/instructions I've come across for installing sights...

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/fitt...ovetail-sights
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mine took a decent bit of filing, sounds like you didn't do enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here is a good video from Dawson precision on fitting sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA

Mike

Feedback Score
    Got it, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo 1-1 View Post
    Got it, thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Expect the finish to come off when installing some sights. You really do need to remove quite a bit of material to fit some of these.

It sucks as it removes the protective top coating but the Wilson sights are poorly parkerized anyway so who cares...
    Last edited by Magsz; 04-20-15 at 11:34.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    They are oversized due to variations in Glock rear sight dovetails- I on the other hand have had sights that I could have almost pushed in with thumb pressure. When you are dealing with variations like this you always err on the side of too much material vs. not enough

This is also why the sights are not melonited to better match the finish of the Glock slide - early test sights proved near impossible to fit because of this

This ain't Wilson Combats first rodeo - they were fitting sights to pistols before many of you were born or in diapers. Along the way they learned a thing or two about designing sights

Feedback Score
    I wish Wilson Combat would offer some sight options for SIG Sauer P series guns.

I just put on a Warren Tactical on my X5 Entry model, and frankly am not real happy with it. Partly due to design, and partly due to my one file stroke too many....had to peen the crap out of the sight dovetail to get it tight again. My fault on that but the rest of the sight is also kind of lackluster. About the only thing I like is the U shaped notch.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm waiting on M&P sights so they can take my money.

OP, did you ever get the sight in?

Feedback Score
    To that I'll add they would make money off of me if they offered sights for the HK45/P30/VP-9 guns as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast