Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LMT MRP accuracy issue

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    How many other AR rifle designs permit one to use their discarded barrels as practice barrels on the fly....i.e. switch from duty to practice barrel under a minute

The MRP design will allow you to use that diminished barrel a great deal in the future for practice or fun shooting if you so desire given the speed, and ease at which you can go from one barrel to another. Sounds like it still has some use left in it.

5k seems low to me, but as noted by another member above...I always yield to Sinister's word around here, especially on subjects such as this one.
    I agree with this. Op keep that old barrel for blasting and the new one for slow fire precision shooting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Exactly -- especially with the LMT. You can blast another 5,000 rounds doing "Ready, UP" drills, double-taps, 1-5 drills, mag changes, etc. The thing could be a smoothbore all the way up to the gas port -- if it's still pumping empties overboard it'll be a great 25-50 yard tube as long as the bullets don't key-hole.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I plan to keep the old barrel around for exactly that. To be fair this barrel went through multiple courses and generally saw a lot of harsh firing conditions. This barrel also had a considerable amount of steel cased ammo during the ammo drought. Based on the link that Siinister provided to the Lucky Gunner story, it seems to back up the point that around 5-6k with steel ammo, you will start to see some issues. After questioning myself and everything that I was potentially doing wrong, there was palpable relief when the barrel change fixed the grouping errors. This barrel will see some more courses and firing before it is retired

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    How many other AR rifle designs permit one to use their discarded barrels as practice barrels on the fly....i.e. switch from duty to practice barrel under a minute

The MRP design will allow you to use that diminished barrel a great deal in the future for practice or fun shooting if you so desire given the speed, and ease at which you can go from one barrel to another. Sounds like it still has some use left in it.

5k seems low to me, but as noted by another member above...I always yield to Sinister's word around here, especially on subjects such as this one.
    Exactly, many people talk about how you can change an entire upper faster than an MRP barrel, but it takes about 2 minutes to change and I can use the same optic and setup. That alone makes the MRP a great choice!! This thing will be just the ticket for some more training!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    Exactly, many people talk about how you can change an entire upper faster than an MRP barrel, but it takes about 2 minutes to change and I can use the same optic and setup. That alone makes the MRP a great choice!! This thing will be just the ticket for some more training!!
    Not to mention the cost difference between an a complete upper and a MRP barrel.
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    How much poi shift do you guys see when swapping barrels (all 5.56)? I see 4 to 6 moa shifts.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have experienced about the same. This last change out was 4 moa.

Feedback Score
    I haven't done any scientific testing, but I only got about 3/4-1" shift @ 50yds going from 16 piston to 10.5" DI. I now have 3x 5.56 barrels, I should throw my 3x9 scope on there and test them all at 100yds just to know.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    I haven't done any scientific testing, but I only got about 3/4-1" shift @ 50yds going from 16 piston to 10.5" DI. I now have 3x 5.56 barrels, I should throw my 3x9 scope on there and test them all at 100yds just to know.

I think you should too and report back!
    Test both surplus and match ammo.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234