Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To end the NiB argument once and for all...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

To end the NiB argument once and for all...

Let me first start by stating that I own and run two NiB carriers. They're shiny. They feel nice.
    I see questions popping up about NiB coating and its durability and possible enhanced function on gun parts.

While perusing some military documents, I found a very in-depth .PDF on some very in-depth torture testing procedures (millions of cycles) done comparing NiB coated parts with their uncoated, chemically polished, and mechanically polished counterparts. The results may surprise you:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a583849.pdf

It appears as if the NiB coated parts are not much better if better at all than uncoated, straight ground parts. I know that this confirms many peoples' suspicions, but this is the first time I've seen such extensive, controlled, and scientific testing done. I wish they had included polished nitrocarbed, chrome plated, and phosphated parts in the test, however. Will I ever buy another NiB coated BCG? Probably not. Will I keep shooting the ones I have, definitely.

Remember folks, these tests were done in the tens of millions of cycles - it's unlikely that your bolt, carrier or any part of your rifle will see that much action. I have posted this for informational purposes. NiB does hardly anything to reduce the friction co-efficient of steel parts. Again, this does not show the difference between phosphated and NiB components - phosphated parts would probably score lower than the polished parts. You'd probably be better off polishing your BCGS on a buffer wheel with some jeweler's compound.

For those of us who are addicted to the bling of a silvery BCG, NP3 or chrome may be a better choice. I have nothing to base this on however. I am not an expert - just someone who spent entirely too much time reading a .mil engineering study paper.
    Last edited by Shao; 11-24-14 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Slick coatings are good at making people's money.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Slick coatings are good at making people's money.
    Taking you mean?? Anyway, they sure are purty...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    NP3 is much better from what I have seen.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    NP3 is much better from what I have seen.
    Gunz, could you recommend a solid NP3 BCG or just carrier that meets your approval?

I admit that I have the dreaded shiny carrier disease and my rifles without them just don't feel as special. My Young Mfg. M-16 NM Chromed BCGs are holding up great and still look "shiny" when cleaned up. The WMD has discolored slightly, and the other NiB carrier (expensive and made by a respectable company) hasn't been fired enough to tell - it still looks new.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    good luck on the "once and for all" part.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Gunz, could you recommend a solid NP3 BCG or just carrier that meets your approval?
    Check the SIONICs website. I think Gunz mentioned they were having a deal on carriers soon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just took a look, Not a very good study as it relates to firearm parts. It did not start with a real world baseline or introduce environment variables typically found in the operating environment.

This is just wear study of uncoated (varying degrees of polish) vs. coated. They also constantly lubricated during testing.

A mirror quality surface that is in a constant state of lubrication is always going to out perform a coated product that generates friction.

You would not find NIB/chrome/np3 on a ball bearing for instance.

Would have been better to introduce a baseline such as a phosphate component.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Study? We don't need no stinkin studies!

My first hand experience with Nib taught me that... hey... it sucks! It should be called "Carbon gripper". Because it grabs carbon fouling and won't let go.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    I just took a look, Not a very good study as it relates to firearm parts. It did not start with a real world baseline or introduce environment variables typically found in the operating environment.

This is just wear study of uncoated (varying degrees of polish) vs. coated. They also constantly lubricated during testing.

A mirror quality surface that is in a constant state of lubrication is always going to out perform a coated product that generates friction.

You would not find NIB/chrome/np3 on a ball bearing for instance.

Would have been better to introduce a baseline such as a phosphate component.
    But it does show that NiB is prone to chipping away and barely produces less drag than plain ground steel. They do test plates by rubbing them together, so it's not all gear wear as the article title would suggest.

According to the tests it barely affects lubricity. It flakes off under wear circumstances - I don't need it in my gun. I get where you're coming from but a coating is a coating... Has anyone noticed any phosphate from their BCGs flaking off into their guns? Someone needs to come out with highly polished stainless carriers or something. I'll look into NP3 and Sionics.

Edit: ..and please, before commenting, read the entire .PDF - dry testing was done as well. NiB came out behind in almost every category and I believe that the first test that they conducted was an excellent analog to NiB wear in firearms.
    Last edited by Shao; 11-24-14 at 12:34.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast