Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Go Through Phases?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anyone Else Go Through Phases?

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Maybe the same story as with guitar players. Some of them are always buying, trading and selling guitars and amps, looking for the magic mojo.

And then there's Uni-Vibe. Les Paul and Marshalls from forever. Just like 1911 and Hi-Power. No phases here.

Come to think of it, there are more parallels. Internet guitarists are looking for that forty year old tube to put in their amp, or some kind of magic capacitor in their guitar, in the hope that it'll make them sound like a real guitar player. They don't know --i.e. won't admit--that the tone's in the hands and ya gotta have Talent. The real guitar players that play in bands don't worry about "new old stock" tubes. They plug in and rock. Same for shooters. They'll worry about the minutiae, real or imagined, in the latest hi-tech bullet. Guys that are more concerned about street survival get a load that works, and go shoot.
    Hmmmmmm......I go through phases.....Guns - Guitars - Amps - Guns - Guitars - Amps

There are at least a couple of universal constants when it comes to tone......Pre '69 Fender Tube amps, with few exceptions are universally full of tone.

Just a small sample of another of my obsessions.

'66 Pro Reverb

'61 6BQ5 Tremolux
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-25-14 at 19:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bounce back and forth between HKs w/ LEM triggers and Glocks. Right now I am solidly locked up in Glock because that's what I've started shooting in IDPA. I'm waiting to see if HK comes out with a VP9L, VP9SK or some .45 VP variant before investing in any more HK products. I went through about a month long phase where I rented several different M&Ps at some local ranges. They feel great in my hand, but I could never manage to get them even remotely close to my Glock and HK groups. I have no doubt the gun can do it, but I guess something just doesn't jive with me even though I wanted it to.

From time to time I become fascinated with 1911's and older Sigs. I've always managed to hang on to my money, though one day soon I know I'll cave. I'm dying to add a nice steel framed gun with some beautiful wood grips to the collection.
    \

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalms144.1 View Post
    I've done this since I bought my first firearm (an HK91) way back in 1987. ALWAYS looking for the next best thing. Oddly enough, I always end up back at the G19, even though I find it the least accurate platform for me, and I'm in the accuracy trumps everything (except reliability) camp. It's just that the G19's package of shootability, reliability, and size efficiency always drag me back from more accurate platforms that are larger, heavier, have significantly reduced capacity, or a combination of any of those factors...

Early in 2014, I made myself a vow that I would shoot NOTHING but the Glock platform, primarily the G19 (a little G23, G26, and G30S thrown in). I initially realized a measurable accuracy and performance improvement, but that plateaued about April. Since then, I've been shaving hundredths of seconds off draw, split, and reload times, but my accuracy is still significantly short of what I can accomplish with my HKs, Sigs, or 1911s.

Regards,

Kevin
    Have you thought about getting somebody to drop a Bar-Sto or maybe a Wilson into your Glock?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Have you thought about getting somebody to drop a Bar-Sto or maybe a Wilson into your Glock?
    I tried a KKM drop in with very minimal improvement in accuracy, and HUGE decrease in reliability (2-3 FTF per magazine at a minimum). I've thought about going for a fitted barrel, but not sure I want to invest half the price of the pistol on a barrel that might not "fix" it...

Do you have anyone you'd recommend for a fitted barrel?

Feedback Score
    Phase over 20 years: Glock, to SIG, and Finally HK.

I can't wrong you on the choice of a SIG 226, because it is still one of my favorites. I currently own three and still use them regularly, but primarily shoot and carry HKs in 9mm and .45 ACP.

I am currently bouncing between a HK USP 9mm compact and an two HK 45 models. The reason I have found myself gravitating towards the HKs is because of the reliability and lower frequency of maintenance and parts replacement.

Feedback Score
    My fav is my Glock 21. It shoots great and never jammed.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I went through a phase where I just wanted to try one of everything. Sadly I never really shot many of them enough to truly know if I liked it. That was before I started handloading, and before I had gone to any classes, and honestly sucked pretty bad when it came to shooting. After getting into competition and more regular practice, I bought a 226 and have stuck with it for about 6 months and 3-4000 rounds. I am by no means an expert, but am a much better shooter now than I was a couple of years ago. I will be shooting a Glock and an M&P that belong to a friend next year and will hopefully decide which I prefer, then stick with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalms144.1 View Post
    I've done this since I bought my first firearm (an HK91) way back in 1987. ALWAYS looking for the next best thing. Oddly enough, I always end up back at the G19, even though I find it the least accurate platform for me, and I'm in the accuracy trumps everything (except reliability) camp. It's just that the G19's package of shootability, reliability, and size efficiency always drag me back from more accurate platforms that are larger, heavier, have significantly reduced capacity, or a combination of any of those factors...

Early in 2014, I made myself a vow that I would shoot NOTHING but the Glock platform, primarily the G19 (a little G23, G26, and G30S thrown in). I initially realized a measurable accuracy and performance improvement, but that plateaued about April. Since then, I've been shaving hundredths of seconds off draw, split, and reload times, but my accuracy is still significantly short of what I can accomplish with my HKs, Sigs, or 1911s.

Regards,

Kevin
    This basically describes me except i have mostly settled on the VP9. I can't seem to stay completely away from Glock though, even though the VP9 smokes Glock in accuracy.

Feedback Score
    i don't go through phases. I spent a lot of money in years past buying this gun and that gun.....but that was only because I was new to firearms and didn't really know what I liked until I had tried out a dozen different handguns. I came to the conclusion that I like HK's and 1911's. HK's because they're one of the few manufacturers out there that make a DA/SA with a safety on it to allow me to keep it condition 1 cocked and locked. That being said, it's pretty obvious why I like 1911's because of practically the same reason. That's just what I am comfortable with. I love the way 1911's look and love the way they shoot. HK's are also damn reliable and its finish on the slide and barrel are damn near corrosion proof.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Hmmmmmm......I go through phases.....Guns - Guitars - Amps - Guns - Guitars - Amps

There are at least a couple of universal constants when it comes to tone......Pre '69 Fender Tube amps, with few exceptions are universally full of tone.

Just a small sample of another of my obsessions.

'66 Pro Reverb

'61 6BQ5 Tremolux

How 'bout this for a "constant?"

Attachment 29951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast