Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good home defense shotgun?

Feedback Score
    I've had semi-autos that have stoppages (OK, I fired a Benelli M3 that ran all day with no issues), pump actions that either have their own issues or user-induced issues, and even a bolt action shotgun that wouldn't fire.

If I were to use a shotgun for HD it would be a short side-by-side (18.1 inch barrels or shorter) 20 gauge or larger with a light on it and only if I already was wearing a pistol. After the second the shot the shotgun would be dropped and I'd draw the pistol.

The side-by-side is short, reliable (nothing is perfect), powerful, handy, and can be kept ready. (Loaded, but partially cracked open) It's also pistol-range friendly, politically correct, (as much as a gun can be) and good enough for the most common HD scenario's. The downside is I would never use this weapon as a primary without a pistol on my person to back it up.

Thats the only scenario I'd entertain the shotgun for HD. I prefer a rifle. (Even a pistol cal. rifle)
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-14-14 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    I bought some birdshot too. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Talo ran a run of the Milspc 590A1' s and these are mill-spec and more reliable than the 870. Remington stayed out of the Goverment bid for known reliability issue's. Issue since 1991 the Goverment 590A1 with 200,000 bought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fowler; 01-10-15 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two HD Shotguns, one a 870 Express mag and the other is a 500.
    I've went through everything on both of them, tweaking little things as I go and in the end its still a HD Shotgun. I bought both of them used and went through them pretty closely buying and adjusting/changing as I went.
    I think honestly if you're going to go through them like I did, you might as well buy an Ugly Betty pawn shop special and start from there. In the end you'll be better off not spending more than 150.00 each and just accept you're going to do the work yourself.
    I would suppose you might get the 90% answer straight out of the box somewhere, but you will end up swapping stuff around anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have my Franchi SPAS-12 for my HD shotgun.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My choice, Browning BPS All Weather

BPSAllWeatherOverall_zps7a082aca.jpg

Feedback Score
    Anywhere you look or ask, your 75% plus reply will be Remington, the Mossberg 500 had been around forever and works, then there is the 590, and lastly the 590A1, the A1 is twice the shotgun as anr 870, and as a tactical, twice as good, the safety is 100% ambi, it's a heavier duty shotgun, everything is thicket and meater, etc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234