Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good home defense shotgun?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by July Johnson View Post
    Thank you for alerting me on the 870 problems. That leaves the Mossburg 500 unless there is another one to look at.
    Don't believe everything you hear about the 870. Remember that this is the internet. People don't complain about things that work. Millions of 870 Express guns have been sold by Remington. If they were crap Remington would be out of business. I have had three of them and not had any issues.
    Last edited by GH41; 11-26-14 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have multiple 870s, have had them for years and don't have a single issue to report. One of the most time tested designs out there. GH41 is correct in that the folks that are out there with issues are not necessarily indicative of a wide spread problem. Rather when you consider the sample size relative to the number in circulation, the error rate is actually fairly small.

Feedback Score
    If you can find a used 870 then this could present another option.
    http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-...p#.VHb9IqjTlJ8

Personally, I think the Wilson Scatterguns 870 is one of the best examples of a premium definsive shotgun. I have owned one and been very satisfied with the gun.
    http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-...p#.VHb-U6jTlJ8

I would try a few different guns before deciding which one you want.

Feedback Score
    I would even suggest the Hawk 982, although it's made in China and that may or may not influence your decision. It's a budget shotgun ($200 or less) that's getting pretty good reviews.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    All of my express 870 never have had an issue.... I can't say I have ever really seen some the issues that have been posted. I have never run one through hundreds of rounds in one sitting though....

Feedback Score
    My 870 Express in 12 guage and my gf's in 20 guage both have problems with the finish rusting. Never had any reliability issues but the finish pisses me off. For that and political reasons I am done with Remington.
    FUAC !!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW , I mostly shoot glocks and carbines, but have an 870 express from about 5-6 yrs ago that I tacticaled out , maybe 125 rounds through it with no problems functionally or cosmetically.
    "Do not mistake my silence for compliance or concession,
    I most probably have simply stopped casting pearls".
    Hayden 2002.

http://fastacademy.net/wp/

Feedback Score
    My vote for a pump has always been Mossberg's 5901A1. Dual extractors and a better placed ambi safety.

Our work 870's need to be mortared often to remove the fired shell. Also a friend from work took his brand new 870 to quals with the SO and after 2 or 3 rounds the extractor fell to the ground...

If you live in a free state and have the coin, I'd recommend a 14" bbl version of the 590.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My vote for a pump has always been Mossberg's 5901A1. Dual extractors and a better placed ambi safety.

Our work 870's need to be mortared often to remove the fired shell. Also a friend from work took his brand new 870 to quals with the SO and after 2 or 3 rounds the extractor fell to the ground...

If you live in a free state and have the coin, I'd recommend a 14" bbl version of the 590.
    This was my issue. After firing (almost every other round), the action would be locked and I'd have to mortar it to actually work the pump and pull out the spent shell.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    This! I bought one and it died right out of the box. Took it back and exchanged it. Second one died right there on the counter in the store.
    Died? WTF is died? Shouldn't be posting this withouit details. Thought I was on the wrong site for a moment.

July, nothing wrong with 870 at all. Or Mossbergs. The age old argument is like chevy vs ford. Don't get caught up in it.

You need to shoulder both and manipulate the controls to see with you like best, then go with it. They both work. If the stocks are too long for you you can replace them with youth stocks, which is something a lot of manly guys do all the time.
    Last edited by austinN4; 11-27-14 at 18:04.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast