Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4 feed ramp gauging bullets

Feedback Score

M4 feed ramp gauging bullets

My Daniel Defense 16 mid-length seems to have some feed issue that's causing some gauging and deep scratching on the brass case and bullet.The rifle seemed to function properly last time I shot it and didn't have any feed issue or jams.I noticed it when I would manually cycle the charging handle no matter which brand of magazine or bullet or my own reloads.The BCG seem sluggish and slow to go into battery and sometimes the round would get hung up on the feed ramp or get a double feed or failure to extract the round from the chamber.

The rifle is pretty much stock except for the Geissele trigger upgrade and was a ordered from DD via the smart Gunner build to order that was offered in 2011

I admit I don't have much experience with ar-15s and wondered if anyone else has seen this? I do have two other ar15s both BCM 16 " mid length and don't get any bullet gauging with them when I manually cycle the charging handle and until the magazine empties.......

I thought I would give Daniel Defense a call after the holiday and see what they say.I've never had to return anything to them for warranty work but I imagine their top notch and check it over for me ?

I tried to take a few photos with my Iphone but the lighting wasn't the best.If you look close you can see some brass shavings around the feed ramp.

IMG_0590_zpsa8029a8b.jpg
    IMG_0586_zpsc7292b83.jpg
    IMG_0586_zpsc7292b83.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------
    Why the hell should I have to press 1 for English!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do the spent cases look? Hand cycling live ammo isn't going to show much since it's not normal operation extracting loaded rounds. The scratches you see look normal to me and your barrel extension might have sharp edges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would shoot 500rds plus through it, then re-evaluate. If it shoots and cycles normal I wouldn't worry about. If it bothers you contact DD and they will check it out.

Feedback Score
    My BCM scratches up bullets like that. It hasn't affected feeding or anything, so I don't worry about it. BTW, "gouging."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Are you releasing the charging handle or riding it home. It should be released from it's full extension. Is the BCG lubed properly? It's tough to see in the first picture but it is not uncommon for the ramps on the extension not align with the ramps on the receiver. It's easy to fix but I can't tell you how to do it without using the "D" word. Load 2 rounds in the magazine and fire the first one. Eject the second round and examine it for the scratches. Next load 3 rounds and fire the first 2. Eject the third round and examine it. This will determine what ramp is causing the scratches or if they are the problem at all.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    How do the spent cases look? Hand cycling live ammo isn't going to show much since it's not normal operation extracting loaded rounds. The scratches you see look normal to me and your barrel extension might have sharp edges.
    This. Stop hand cycling live ammo! Go shoot the dang gun, if its not malfunctioning then its fine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you sure that is from the feed ramps or could it be from the front of the ejection port when ejecting the live round?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's actually your barrel extension as you hand extract them from your chamber, under outward pressure from your ejector.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the gun runs and is accurate leave it be. There is no need to hand cycle live ammo through it.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Feed ramps will do this. As long as it shoots it's fine. The first stupid thread I ever started was all about scratched bullets just like your's and rounds getting hung up when hand cycling.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...function/page6
    The thread could have ended after the third response but after 6 pages I got out to the range and discovered that the "problem" was that I was hand cycling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast