Thread: 7.5 SBR build

Feedback Score

7.5 SBR build

I had wanted to build a SBR pretty much since I started seeing threads on them on the glorious interweb. I had taken a 9.5" ArmsTech Compak 16 upper to Iraq and it worked very well when getting in and out of vehicles. Then I saw a photo of a beautiful little Hardigg Storm case designed to fit a 7.5" gun. Stupid people sometimes do weird things, so I ordered a case and set about building a gun to fit in it. These are old photos from a year or so back.

I love this case. It is too small to attract attention like a gun case, looking more like camera equipment. In it's initial build I used the same EOTech I used in Iraq. You can see in the photo above that it fits the case perfectly. Just recently I gave my son the EOTech as he has been wanting it for his AR ever since I built him one a couple years ago. This sight is very fast on target. I am right handed, yet left eye dominant, so my new sight needed to be something that would really catch in my weak right eye. I fell into a decent trade from another forum I get on, and replaced the EOTech with an Aimpoint Comp M4s. I only had to trim a little of the foam out for the Aimpoint to fit right.

Forged upper of unknown origin, gun show find
    7.5” 4140 Chrome Moly barrel 1 in 9” twist 5.56 NATO chamber
    M4 feed ramps
    Low profile gas block
    Stainless pistol length gas tube
    Noveske Krink KX3 flash suppressor “Flaming Pig”
    Troy Industries Bravo free float quad rail hand guard with T-marks
    Tango Down vertical fore grip that contains a complete spare bolt
    Young Manufacturing Chrome M16 National Match BCG
    Troy Industries HK front and Round rear folding BUIS with Tritium inserts
    Aimpoint Comp M4s
    Streamlight TLR-1

Spikes Tactical forged lower
    DPMS LPG
    Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
    Hogue Overmolded rubber pistol grip
    JP Enterprises trigger, hammer, and springs
    Mil spec buffer tube
    Troy Industries sling mount
    Magpul MOE carbine stock
    Enidine AR-restor hydraulic recoil buffer
    Tactical Springs “RED” extra power buffer spring

The case itself is a Hardigg Storm Case iM2370. I had to cut little divits out of the foam in the lid to allow for the covers that go on my Pmags. Here she is in her latest form. I use an Urban – E.R.T. sling.

We went to the range Wed and had a blast with it. The JP trigger is very smooth. I keep reading great things about geissele, but I can't imagine it being much of a difference, so I have never tried one. Despite all the horror stories about overgassed and otherwise fussy SBRs, I have been very luck with this gun. It had performed flawlessly with my selection of parts. Still can't say if my research was good, or it was blind luck, but this gun has never had a failure to feed, fire, or extract. It runs well on PMC Bronze, XM193, Hornady 75 gr TAP, Corbon 53 and 62gr DPX, and M885. I keep the mags loaded with its favorite load, the 62 gr DPX, though most of my stash is the PMC and the XM193. It's so much cheaper shooting when you are issued free ammo. I still have the ArmsTech Compak 16 upper, but I'm going to rebarrel it as a 16" for my daughter. Can't see a reason to keep it seeing as it don't fit in the case...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-28-14 at 22:32.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I put the SBR back into it's original configuration with my 9.5" Arms Tech Compak-16 upper that I took on my last deployment to Iraq. The little 7.5" upper off my AR pistol fits the storm case perfect, but the Arms Tech upper is much more accurate and offers way more muzzle velocity. Hard to pass on that. The Compak-16 upper also has significant sentimental value to me as I have used it in combat. The 7.5" pistol goes back to being a truck gun, though it may get a Sig brace one of these days.

Both the pistol and the SBR together.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.