Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Forwward Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Auto Forwward Discussion

As mentioned in the thread on the HK VP9, my range test I pout 150rnds through it and it did auto forward a number of times. I'm pretty aggressive with my mag insertions and it stopped if I didn't slap them home with force. I don't mind auto forward, but it's not considered a good thing by many. My M&Ps will do it too with a forceful fast mag insert. Maybe I'm just too aggressive. In Glocks, auto forwarding is user error according to Glock as they don't auto forward. I kid, but Glock's do it as well, some more than others.

It seems even the same model can be all over the place in terms of it's perpencity to auto forward per comments in the other thread. Guess it's another example of striker fired DA guns varying in their auto forwarding on mag insertion. It does not bother me or change my flow, but I worry it's a negative to the longevity and reliability of the gun.

How do you address this? Do you address this?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    As mentioned in the thread on the HK VP9, my range test I pout 150rnds through it and it did auto forward a number of times. I'm pretty aggressive with my mag insertions and it stopped if I didn't slap them home with force. I don't mind auto forward, but it's not considered a good thing by many. My M&Ps will do it too with a forceful fast mag insert. Maybe I'm just too aggressive. In Glocks, auto forwarding is user error according to Glock as they don't auto forward. I kid, but Glock's do it as well, some more than others.

It seems even the same model can be all over the place in terms of it's perpencity to auto forward per comments in the other thread. Guess it's another example of striker fired DA guns varying in their auto forwarding on mag insertion. It does not bother me or change my flow, but I worry it's a negative to the longevity and reliability of the gun.

How do you address this? Do you address this?
    My M&P does it as well unless I'm really gentile. I don't really see how it could effect longevity or reliability but I'm not sure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think autoforwarding is a defect. i don't think a firearm should ever do anything unexpected.

Having said that, I remember shooting my M&P 9 in a course with Louis Awerbuck and asking him his opinion of a firearm that auto-forwarded. He just shrugged and said "one less step, then...".

eta:

The slide release on the VP9 is bigger and placed differently than what you're used to. Be sure your thumb isn't hitting it when you slam it home. Sorry if that states something that's already obvious to you. No offense intended.
    Last edited by Hmac; 11-29-14 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    I personally like it quite a lot. To me it's one less step to get back into action, and I have come to expect it. If it doesn't happen, I just give it a quick rack, no problem. Awareness of what your gun is doing one way or another is required anyway so I don't really see the complication.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I think autoforwarding is a defect. i don't think a firearm should ever do anything unexpected.

Having said that, I remember shooting my M&P 9 in a course with Louis Awerbuck and asking him his opinion of a firearm that auto-forwarded. He just shrugged and said "one less step, then...".

eta:

The slide release on the VP9 is bigger and placed differently than what you're used to. Be sure your thumb isn't hitting it when you slam it home. Sorry if that states something that's already obvious to you. No offense intended.
    Technically, it has to be seen as such as it's not an intended part of the design. Some may see it as a "good defect" and some not, but a defect it is I'd think.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Spent the last two days with my father at the range doing some timed drills on steel. He normally shoots an M&P in 9mm that auto-forwards. But he brought his USP45 instead (it's winter, so fat gloves need big trigger guards and tritium night sights are nice to have, although the weather was nice enough and we weren't out long enough to need either). To say that his reload times suffered as a result is putting it mildly.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 11-29-14 at 15:03.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Considering some guns won't auto-forward regardless of technique, and of those that do, you must be abrupt with the magazine insertion for it to happen (or apply extra force to the rear portion of the butt of the gun, or apply an upward and forward smack, etc.), it's not something I depend on and I wouldn't find it any kind of detriment if none of my guns did it.

I don't see how auto-forwarding would have any negative impact on a guns longevity. I suppose the force some guys are slamming the magazines home could aggravate guns that are sensitive to over insertion. With respect to "reliability", one instance that comes to mind is my old M&P9. With JHP, the top round would occasionally nosedive into the feed ramp when I induced an auto-forward. On other, more rare occasions, the slide would drop but no round would actually be loaded into the chamber, as if the slide was dropped on a magazine that wasn't fully inserted. In that particular gun, it was more of a liability than anything and from reading around online, it wasn't by any means an isolated incident.

Personally, I use the slide stop as it is a method that works 100% of the time for my purposes.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    It happens if you're heavy handed with a reload.

I can make a Glock do it pretty much anytime I want to, but I don't because there's no point.

I don't train to auto-forward, but when it happens, I say 'bonus' and enjoy the speed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    It happens if you're heavy handed with a reload.

I can make a Glock do it pretty much anytime I want to, but I don't because there's no point.

I don't train to auto-forward, but when it happens, I say 'bonus' and enjoy the speed.
    It's not intentionally done on my part, but if/when it happens, I just drive on.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    I don't feel like I'm heavy handed at all and I do it probably 80% of the time with my M&P.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast