Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tikka T3 CTR .260 Remington

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Cadex chassis?
    Thinking about putting my T3-CTR in one.
    Cadex makes the best chassis IMO.

WC3 Gen 3/4 being a very close second. I own a couple of the KRG's with Tikka combos.

The KRG is a much better value. Unless you shit krugerrands dropping a T3 Tac, Sporter or CTR into a KRG is as close to custom performing you can get while staying at factory prices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoliat View Post
    I have heard so much good about the Tikka, I am considering one as the starting point for a new F-TR build. I'll presume any decent smith can handle a rebarrel, but what is available as far as stocks/chassis system, bottom metal etc..?
    Don't skimp on the re-barrel. That's the most important thing!! If you're going to re-barrel and put it in a new stock why not just get a short action from surgeon, or Templar or something. The Tikka actions are great and I have a Sako TRG that is also great...but why buy a rifle then scrap all but the action?

Other's have posted the Whiskey 3 and Tikkka...that's a winner for sure. Wouldn't even re-barrel until it's shot out. The CTR is a great gun...anyway...those are my thoughts.

Feedback Score
    Word!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRS_260Fan View Post
    Don't skimp on the re-barrel. That's the most important thing!! If you're going to re-barrel and put it in a new stock why not just get a short action from surgeon, or Templar or something. The Tikka actions are great and I have a Sako TRG that is also great...but why buy a rifle then scrap all but the action?

Other's have posted the Whiskey 3 and Tikkka...that's a winner for sure. Wouldn't even re-barrel until it's shot out. The CTR is a great gun...anyway...those are my thoughts.
    Because its one of the top 2 factory actions available, and its built so well it needs zero truing for a re-barrel. It also has a fantastic trigger that needs no upgrading. You can buy a new T3 for $500, sell the barrel and stock and you might have $300 into the action. You could have a Bartlien/Hawk Hill barreled action sitting in a KRG XRAY for the price of a Surgeon action alone. Its going to shoot every bit as good and probably be smoother than the surgeon anyway. There is no reason to even consider them anyway, the M5 blows everything else out of the water and if your going to buy a custom action, thats the only one worth buying.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I planning to pick up a T3 CTR but want to ensure surefire reflex suppressor (762 SS) mount fits on the barrel. Anyone know the barrel OD for the .260/.308 CTR?
    The suppressor mount extends appx 3" over the barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hjmpanzr View Post
    I planning to pick up a T3 CTR but want to ensure surefire reflex suppressor (762 SS) mount fits on the barrel. Anyone know the barrel OD for the .260/.308 CTR?
    The suppressor mount extends appx 3" over the barrel.
    I got .788" inches near the muzzle and the same at 3" in.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_accuser View Post
    I got .788" inches near the muzzle and the same at 3" in.
    Thank you! The Surefire spec sheet indicates the brake fits over .775 barrel width so I'm probably out of luck (although it seems like it may be very close so maybe I'll see if a gunstore will let me try it on).

Feedback Score
    It's been a bit since I've updated this thread. I ended up shooting in my first match on 3/14. Wow..not easy but I had a great time and learned my dope was slightly off at 600 which was causing me fits. I haven't changed anything with the rifle setup.

I've settled on using the Berger 140gr Hybrid with 43.5gr H4350, Lapua brass and Federal 210M primers. COAL is at 2.900" and I'm getting the following speeds consistently.

Max: 2723 fps
    Min: 2710 fps
    Avg: 2717 fps
    SD: 4
    ES: 13

Here is my elevation numbers that have yielded consistent center hits on sighter targets at the following distances:

600 yards - 3.8 mils up
    750 yards - 5.5 mils up
    1000 yards - 9.0 mils up

Anyone else shooting the Tikka T3 CTR in .260 and have any experiences they want to share? How about those of you with the CTR in .308?
    Finally got to shoot the CTR yesterday (zero with the 2.5 X 10 Viper PST) and then steel at ETTS in Dallas (actually Waxahatchie) ok. so here's the report.

Thanks Jason for the load data you saved me a ton of time. I loaded 43.5 of H4350 with the 140 hybrids to zero and I also loaded 44 and 44.5 H4350 of the 123 scenars. It seemed like the 44 grains and 123 would be good but the field test showed otherwise.

Needless to say the 140's were a hammer. I borrowed a magneto speed at the zero range and got 2686. Slower than yours but it was literally the first 10 rounds down the gun. But I did use that velocity in my balistics app on steel and wow! It was on (amazingly).

Here's the dope:
    140 Berger Hybrid
    2686 Ft/Sec
    64 degrees
    29.97 bar pressure
    80% humidity

500 - 2.7 mils
    600 - 3.7
    700 - 4.8
    800 - 6.0
    900 - 7.4

I ran out of ammo at 900 so I'll try again later. I put an APA lil bastard on the muzzle and holy cow there was no muzzle jump at all. I could see every impact clean as could be...I'm going to put one on my TRG.

This gun out of the box is awesome. it's light, no recoil (thanks APA) and I'm probably going to use it at the Steel Safari in June since it's so darn light. Thanks again for the load data that was a huge help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to hear the loads worked out PRS_260Fan! The 123 load seems to work well for me 600 and in but after 600 I'm inconsistent. The 140 hybrid is just awesome. My load is running about the same speed as yours now. I'm thinking because our temps are cooler right now. I'm thinking when I posted before our temps were already in the mid 80s or higher. Also different lots of powder could probably affect it. Either way like you said it is a hammer. I plan to drop my CTR in a MPA BA lite chassis sometime this year.

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear the loads worked out PRS_260Fan! The 123 load seems to work well for me 600 and in but after 600 I'm inconsistent. The 140 hybrid is just awesome. My load is running about the same speed as yours now. I'm thinking because our temps are cooler right now. I'm thinking when I posted before our temps were already in the mid 80s or higher. Also different lots of powder could probably affect it. Either way like you said it is a hammer. I plan to drop my CTR in a MPA BA lite chassis sometime this year.
    I wonder if the 20" barrel can't stabilize that lighter round? My TRG loves the 123's and they're super accurate out to 1130 for sure. But it has a 26" barrel...anyway no need to fix something that isn't broke especially since this is ultimately the deer/elk slayer.

Seriously put an APA lil Bas#ard on it. for $160 it's the best money ever spent, and is just screws on the already threaded barrel. the recoil and muzzle jump is virtually eliminated (they say 40%). This gun is darn near as fun to shoot as my 20" AR.

I was in your neck of the woods at the LRSE prs match and got some good intel on the 140s. First I was puzzled that I couldn't find the lands and Scott Satterlee said since it's a production gun it's probably too long so just load to mag length and go for it. So I used your specs and didn't fret. Also...I was concerned about the jump in the VLD hunting rounds. He said A. that is a myth that you have to kiss the lands with them so don't worry about it and B. He prefers the hybrids for hunting anyway, apparently the hunting VLD's don't penetrate as well and he's got actual ground truth on the topic. (who new!)....so boom no need to worry and I have the right load anyway. Long story short thanks again for the data and I'll keep you updated. I'm seriously considering this as my gun at the Steel Safari in June...it's soooo light and accurate!

Here lot's of good stuff about that MPA chassis hope you like it!!

- Allen

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456