Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knew to EDC knives in a more defensive/utility type manner

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy the Spyderco PMII and be done with it. If you are worried that it may be too small, you can go for the Military, but the PMII is a great size for EDC. Buy a straight edge, especially if you don't mind sharpening it. It is also preferred for self-defense as serrations get caught up on clothing. A drop point or spear point would be fine. Tanto isn't necessary or as versatile.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    The Kershaw Cryo II in black wash is my absolute favorite folder. 33.00 -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
    Ok,

As I take stock of myself, and that I am going out more often than not, I feel I need to upgrade from the el-cheapo blades I usually see in stores. I am not migrating to the $200+ blades, but feel I can/should be able to get a nice EDC blade (folding) for around $100 range.

Questions I do have are kind of numerous:

1) Straight Edge, Serated Edge or Combo?
    2) What type of point; Spear? Tanto? Other?
    3) Size both for grip as well as blade. I have larger meaty hands. Length as measured from tip of middle finger to base of my palm is 8". Width as measured from one end of my palm to the other in a relaxed manner is approx 3.75"

My friend who I know uses knives a lot swears by Cold Steel and Spyderco, but I am personally 'meh' on Cold Steel and sort of receptive to Sypedero. I really would love to have a Benchmade or such, but again, don't know what to look for.
    1) I prefer straight edge in general. There are exceptions to this such as based on type of steel but I would get a straight edge for this purpose.
    2) I would get anything that is not rounded tip (i.e. a safety tip).
    3) Grip length and blade length are up to you. I can tell you that I for sure wouldn't carry anything over 5" and that weight matters. I have found there to be 2 grip sizes in knives: long enough and not long enough, with most knives being in the first category.

I don't like Cold Steel, I love Spyderco and ESEE. Benchmade is okay but I feel Spyderco is a better value in general.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of my favorites and if you can find it would be a RAT model 1. Roughly $40 shipped. Straight edge, liner lock. Good blade that is very well made. Holds a good edge very well and at $40 I will actually use it and won't be babied.

My others in rotation are a kershaw chill, BM Mel pardue 530, BM 710 mchenry Williams, boker ridgeback.

Something to watch for would be the thickness of the overall knife. Most liner lock knives are pretty thick and will be very noticeably in the pocket. I carry in my right back pocket so I notice the thickness more. The thinner knives that I look for are usually any benchmades with axis locks, spyderco's with lock backs, or a frame lock knife. Most kershaw flipper knives are thin as well

Feedback Score
    Benchmade products are excellent.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 Benchmade Griptillians that I've been very happy with. Both have been back to Benchmade to be sharpened and looked over once in the years I've had them.
    I've used them for everything from opening boxes, cutting rope, strong fabrics, and other random miscellaneous jobs. I keep one in my patrol jumpsuit for work at all times. Only downside, they are a think knife so if you wear skinny jeans it won't hide well. They aren't super pricey, no spring assist but it opens fast with the flick of the thumb stud and wrist. So far it has been my favorite utility/ EDC knife. I am adding a SOC-P to the duty belt to have a fast access to a fixed blade to fill a defensive gap I found in training.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ro View Post
    Benchmade products are excellent.
    Quality-wise, they've always been great, though sometimes a little inconsistent. It seems like they haven't released a knife that I've wanted in about eight years though. So many of the newer designs are just so damn ugly. Besides, as far as production folders go right now, the best in the $100-200 category are Zero Tolerance and Spyderco Taiwan-made blades. There are so many near perfect copies of the para-millie going around right now, that I wouldn't even buy one. Even honest dealers are getting scammed from what I've heard.

I used to sell knives and I've dealt extensively with Spyderco, Benchmade, and Zero Tolerance/KAI's CS and can tell you with complete certainty that KAI USA has the best. Spyderco charges you to sharpen a knife and you have to pay shipping - If your Zero Tolerance needs sharpening, there's a good chance that they'll cover shipping, and send you a knife with a razor edge and fresh coating/finishing, along with things like new screws and a pocket clip. They also cover (or covered) broken tips, which Benchmade and Spyderco don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12