Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different Look On VLTOR MUR-1

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Different Look On VLTOR MUR-1

Hey guys is it just me or is there a difference in looks? The first pic is from VLTOR'S site, second pic is the one I purchased today.

Please tell me I am not going crazy!!
    "An amature trains until he gets it right... A professional trains until he can't get it wrong" (Author unknown)

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    From what I have been told by Vltor is that they now (a couple of months) are forged and not machined from a billet.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    From what I have been told by Vltor is that they now (a couple of months) are forged and not machined from a billet.

Great that kinda sucks. If I wanted a forged upper I would have bought a CMT. All well back it goes.
    "An amature trains until he gets it right... A professional trains until he can't get it wrong" (Author unknown)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Looks like the design was changed near the barrel nut threads to play nicely with some of the new rail designs that fit tight there (like the DD Lite Rails).
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter.45 View Post
    Great that kinda sucks. If I wanted a forged upper I would have bought a CMT. All well back it goes.

It's going to be every bit as good as the old MUR. Forging in many ways is actually better. The main benefit of parts being milled from solid(billet), apposed to a forging is it's cheaper an faster to bring the part to the market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's going to be every bit as good as the old MUR. Forging in many ways is actually better. The main benefit of parts being milled from solid(billet), apposed to a forging is it's cheaper an faster to bring the part to the market.
    some how I posted twice...see below.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 06-26-08 at 04:55. Reason: double post...my bad
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Well, then the price better go down too right... So is the VIS still cut from billet?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    they're now machined from a forging, and even stiffer than before. i don't know it necessarily is cheaper - maybe there's a bit less machine time (not much) but you're also paying to get the forging made vs. a solid block of material.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    they're now machined from a forging, and even stiffer than before. i don't know it necessarily is cheaper - maybe there's a bit less machine time (not much) but you're also paying to get the forging made vs. a solid block of material.

Forgive me, I am a bit clumsy when wording things. I was trying to explain that an upper cut from "billet" has no advantages other than the fact that it's is easier and cheaper to get it to the market. You need not have dies made and wait for the company doing your forging work. In long run production, however, the added machine time of milling a part from solid makes forging a more attractive option.

Feedback Score

Question MUR v. VIS, Billet v. Forged

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Well, then the price better go down too right... So is the VIS still cut from billet?

The price for the Manufacturer, or the consumer? From what I can see on pricing, consumer level pricing remains the same. I beleive the VIS is still cut from Billet. I wonder why the MUR is not and the VIS still is?
    Cold Zero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast