Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on salvaging a hack job.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Only correct thing to do would be to cut the gas block off, remove the flash hider, put it in a lathe to turn the muzzle end for appearances sake, reinstall new gas block, Chase the existing threads (if salvageable) and install new flash hider.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Only correct thing to do would be to cut the gas block off, remove the flash hider, put it in a lathe to turn the muzzle end for appearances sake, reinstall new gas block, Chase the existing threads (if salvageable) and install new flash hider.
    That would be the epitome of throwing good money after bad. He's already out the cost of the job, the gas block and the FH. Then he'd have to pay someone competent to do all the removal and reprofiling the barrel & threads. Consider also that the threads might not be salvageable under there, so the barrel might have to be cut back far enough to rethread. That would negate the purpose of a pinned and welded 14.5", to avoid a tax stamp. All this on a barrel that the integrity of is now in question.

I'd rather spend my money filing a claim in court than pursue any salvage attempts.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    That would be the epitome of throwing good money after bad. He's already out the cost of the job, the gas block and the FH. Then he'd have to pay someone competent to do all the removal and reprofiling the barrel & threads. Consider also that the threads might not be salvageable under there, so the barrel might have to be cut back far enough to rethread. That would negate the purpose of a pinned and welded 14.5", to avoid a tax stamp. All this on a barrel that the integrity of is now in question.

I'd rather spend my money filing a claim in court than pursue any salvage attempts.
    I'm not saying it's good money spent, I belive the op asked if it could be fixed. It can but at what expense seems reasonable I do t know. The whole thing could be done by ADCO for proabably 100 bucks, according to their website they can machine off the old threads and put a sleeve over it with new threads. Again, throwing lipstick on a pig. If the barrel is going to get pitched anyway someone with reasonable skill and equipment could fix it.

Best bet would be to buy a new upper from bcm for 440 bucks.

Eta. You would probably be in over 200 for the work to fix it.
    From ADCO web page:
    Contour barrel 80
    Remove flash hider 40
    Pin gas block 55
    Blind pin new flash hider 30
    205 bones to fix it.

Again, new barrel is the most economic route.

This assumes the threads are fine and I don't thin I it includes cost of new gas block and flash hider.
    Last edited by rushca01; 12-01-14 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Provided the barrel isn't too bitched, it probably wouldn't be a bad fix. It's junk the way it sits so what's the worst that could happen? Gotta get some heat into that flash hider & try to spin it off. I personally wouldn't try to cut it off and risk more damage to the barrel. Obviously a new FH and GB would have to be ordered. Once the FH is off, it's all downhill from there. Heck, if I had more time, it might be a fun project.

Your other option is to threaten the LGS that you'll put his name & those pictures all over the internet if they don't try to make this right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's hideous! I'm not a fan of using the courts for these things, but that might be the only resolution available if the owner refuses to make it right. Write a letter detailing the issues and the preferred resolution and send it certified mail. Document everything. Let the owner know that your situation will be shared with various social media outlets, the BBB and your states Attorney General's Office.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wow,.......the worst hack job I have ever seen
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    MY God, This has to be a joke. How could anyone claim to be a gunsmith and allow that abortion out of their shop. I'd demand replacement of all parts + costs to the LGS, or take it to small claims court.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If he takes the smith to court the guns owner certainly will be ask two questions. Does the gun work and did smith tell you it would look pretty?? If your friend answers yes and no he walks out of court empty handed. The rifle's owner should some share of the blame for letting this gun butcher work on his rifle with out knowing what kind of work he does. I would be embarrassed to post the pictures.
    Last edited by GH41; 12-01-14 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    I would POSSIBLY accept that job if the SHTF and someone did it with a hacksaw, a hand-cranked arc welder and the barrel jammed between a couple of rocks in the woods.

MAYBE. But then again, I guess that would mean the NFA went out the window a long time ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If he takes the smith to court the guns owner certainly will be ask two questions. Does the gun work and did smith tell you it would look pretty?? If your friend answers yes and no he walks out of court empty handed. The rifle's owner should some share of the blame for letting this gun butcher work on his rifle with out knowing what kind of work he does.
    Yeah but do we know that it does in fact work, and in a safe manner? I wouldn't bet on it.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast