Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on salvaging a hack job.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    I would POSSIBLY accept that job if the SHTF and someone did it with a hacksaw, a hand-cranked arc welder and the barrel jammed between a couple of rocks in the woods.

MAYBE. But then again, I guess that would mean the NFA went out the window a long time ago.
    This the kind of work you expect to have done by a farmer in Romania when it was the only option you had.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post

Your other option is to threaten the LGS that you'll put his name & those pictures all over the internet if they don't try to make this right.
    He was told about a thread in a state wide forum regarding this problem, and while I am not certain of his exact words the gist was he didnt care. Either way I care, and dont want any local shooters to make the same mistake. The name of the establishment is American Armory and Tactical (AAT) in Norman, Oklahoma. The owner has had multiple chances to make this right and has chosen the low road every time. Like some of you, I dont lay this all on the LGS. The barrel's owner has to take his share of the responsibility.
    " If i cannot be a good example Lord, let me be a terrible warning"

Feedback Score
    That isn't the work of a school-trained gunsmith, or welder, or basic hand tool user. It looks like a colossal abortion of magnitudes exceeding the bottom of what I currently thought was the threshold. The fluted barrel that a guy did with a Dremel tool looks better than this...

Feedback Score
    That is an embarrassing example of "workmanship". The excess heat that was put into the barrel can certainly do no good. I would not be surprised if the barrel is warped/bent/caved in around the gas block. I would personally try my luck in small claims court

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    This the kind of work you expect to have done by a farmer in Romania when it was the only option you had.
    Hey now, no need to slam Romanian farmers!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If the op hadn't been a member since 2012 I would say he was trolling us ��

I would take it off your hands for the cost of shipping. Would be a fun little project or a beater barrel for mag dumps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My first thoughts of what would happen had that been my barrel I am not going to say on open forum because it is not kind.

That said, as others have said, would take the man to court and roll the dice. I would argue that he failed to do what he said he would. IE, pin and weld the FH, and properly install the FH, and possibly endangered the owner by using excessive heat that may have damaged the integrity of the barrel.

Second option, post up in front of the store, off the property, with a board and a couple friends and make the man's business well known for being underhanded and shoddy work. That might actually get a quicker response, I would make it known that you are going to do that, as well as go through proper legal channels. Have known this to work quite well in the past with other businesses.

That said, I would also use this as a great reason why you don't use a gunsmith who is not vetted or well know. Not worth trying to save a buck, and just because a smith knows one design doesn't make him an expert on another. I can not tell you the number of gunsmiths I have heard of who either don't know what the hell they are doing, don't do shit, flat out lie, or have damaged or destroyed guns trying to work on them. Most recent what my brother in law with a Remington 1100 that was not working who he took to a gunsmith they man said he stripped it down, cleaned it, and that is was worn out and needed a new receiver and would cost $800. He brought it to me and if the gunsmith cleaned it I want to know what it looked like prior because it was ****ing filthy. Fixed it with a new feedlatch and replaced the recoil and feeding spring since I had it apart. couple hours worth of cleaning and work and the gun has run great since. Can't speak to the number of smith revolvers with pinned barrels I know have been ****ed up or straight up ruined.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I ever made a weld like that I'd be fired on the spot. If the retard (as a professional in my own field I refuse to call him a gunsmith) decided to bevel the weld area enough he could have fused into the barrel itself or induced an excessive heat affected zone. If so then it's completely unsafe and could potentially explode at that point.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have nothing to add to the spot on comments already made. WOW.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Words elude me...I'm curious to hear IG's comments, to see if he has ever seen anything comparable. The one who sent that out the door as completed must be a jack of all trades...master of absofreakinlutely none.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast