Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quest. On shooting in standing position and plate carriers

Feedback Score

Quest. On shooting in standing position and plate carriers

Shooting from a standing position. I had someone tell me that, today, soldiers are taught to use an extreme forward lean when shooting from a standing position because if they are shot on their plate carrier the bullet and related spawling will be angled downward between their feet instead of absorbed into the plate.
    I understand that using an aggressive forward lean assists with recoil control and fast follow up shots but my military time was in the days of flak jackets not body armor and this is something I've never heard before. The person who told me this claims to have combat experience as Army infantry but I have reason to doubt some other things he says.
    This isn’t meant to be a discussion on shooting positions. I’m just interested in whether or not soldiers are taught that an extreme forward lean in their torso is to angle the plate carrier and cause bullet strikes to deflect downward. And if so, how practical this is.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sounds like BS to me. Why would you want spawl to go down towards your femoral arteries and groin?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Uhmmmm. I don't think that what your friend is saying makes much sense.

Feedback Score
    "Someone" is mistaken.

Most military plates are lined in order to reduce/minimize spall. In addition, bullets are not deflected when they hit a plate (except for maybe extremely oblique impacts).
    A plate is designed so that the bullet will expend all it's energy to crush and penetrate the various layers used in constructing the plate; it does this very quickly, limiting the amount of actual penetration.
    Energy is also spent as the bullet flattens as it hits the plate.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Its possible that is a current rumor, but not one I've ever heard. The stance is no more "extreme" than you'd see from anyone else using an updated manual of arms. Part of that is recoil absorption and part of it is so that your plate has the maximum area of coverage.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Horse shit.

The plate provides ballistic protection from a projectile going through your torso and killing your ass -- same as your side plates.

The original thought to squaring up to a hostile shooter firing at you (prior to side plates becoming general issue) was to face as much of the plate towards incoming bullets. Soft armor protects against fragments, not straight-on rifle fire.

Turn to the side and you can still get a fatal through-and-through wound.

Front, back, and side protection -- how does that work?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Bullets play on a different timescale game, so leaning forward to minimize force uptake makes no sense at all - you want the armor system dispersing the armor over the largest possible area, but most importantly you want to cover the largest possible portion of your critical-to-survival organs with the most possible armor. When teaching people how to move in MOUT, the tendency (especially with M16A2's) is to end up in a really stupid looking off-balance heel walk if they're focusing on running the optic too much, so the instruction to lean forward aggressively is primarily to actually have weight over the balls of the feet instead of somewhere stupid. It does help with recoil control, but that's a secondary consideration to just being able to move while encumbered with armor/helmet/pack/rifle. If you have armor, present armor to the threat when possible. If you can run proper body mechanics that lets you engage proficiently while doing so, you're in solid shape - from there it's about being able to move to a position where you hopefully don't need armor (takes more time than most would appreciate; it's still super obvious when actors have had a day or two of competent training, but still haven't grasped the concept that being in the right stance and holding the weapons the right way doesn't mean standing right in a doorway is a conceptually poor idea).

If you're worried about leaning too far in - even in best case situations for deflecting a comparatively low speed projectile (probably a high-mass ~230gr subsonic round) off the bounciest possible setup (steel Lvl 3 hard over HDPE IIIA) I can think of and it still won't deflect unless that's a really shallow impact angle - maybe if you're shot from a second story while in an aggressive forward leaning position you might find a rare instance where it would skip, but that's still converted a very high probability of paralysis and massive bleeding from lower torso into a low probability of femur of femoral artery hit (in terms of survivability the worst case scenario I can come up with still improved massively by armor and being squared up to the target). So, spalling (or really anything after an incoming projectile has dissipated a fraction of its energy) is a tertiary consideration at best.

Either way, it's not a reason to doubt any 11B or similar experience, but there is a pretty big gap between what somebody remembers about some training they didn't fully understand, and something that's so adequately understood and versed with an individual that they're qualified to teach and function as an SME with regard to.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. That tells me what I needed to know.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There are a significant number of misinformed instructors inside military training cadres. Completely possible that he was told this by such an individual and accepted it to be true.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Sounds like the "bullets fired from the M4 leave the barrell and turn upwards" guys. Personally, I prefer to turn and deflect the bullet from my plate back at the bad guy, saves ammo. Long story short, its BS.

F2S is exactly right. I see this on a daily basis. The worst part is most guys in combat arms jobs seem to be way too proud to think they just might be wrong. That's how we end up with guys thinking and teaching all of this nonsense.
    Last edited by tostado22; 12-25-14 at 23:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast