Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quest. On shooting in standing position and plate carriers

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With Sinister and F2S jumping in, this subject has been settled. Move along.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There are a significant number of misinformed instructors inside military training cadres. Completely possible that he was told this by such an individual and accepted it to be true.
    I experienced that first hand as an instructor. In my first year, I learned that half of the classes we taught had been so modified by years of instructors that they didnt even resemble the ones that came out of TECOM. I was guilty of the same thing at first, until I was humbled by a Gunner who had forgotten more about weapon utilization than I had learned. After that, I learned to trust, but verify.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    I experienced that first hand as an instructor. In my first year, I learned that half of the classes we taught had been so modified by years of instructors that they didnt even resemble the ones that came out of TECOM. I was guilty of the same thing at first, until I was humbled by a Gunner who had forgotten more about weapon utilization than I had learned. After that, I learned to trust, but verify.
    And this is the crux of the issue. Young instructors who have only one frame of reference from where they learned their craft. Young, used to following orders, often only know what they know and don't know, what they don't know. These experiences shared by F2S and yourself also mirror my own, when it comes to Military Cadre or even by the military guys that I generally get to work with.

Of course much is based on the individuals personality, but it usually goes something like this....Confidence, bordering on cocky, which quickly fades into humbled once the shooting starts. On the plus side the Military guys generally take the humbling experience well and shift into a learning mode much easier than a LE or civilian instructor. The good thing is that you learned a valuable motto to live by, trust but verify. In all honesty many of my experiences have been more problematic with some instructors in the civilian world who may hold some type of bias towards those in LE. So again don't think this is just a military problem. Take that motto with you wherever you go and apply it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Horse shit.

The plate provides ballistic protection from a projectile going through your torso and killing your ass -- same as your side plates.

The original thought to squaring up to a hostile shooter firing at you (prior to side plates becoming general issue) was to face as much of the plate towards incoming bullets. Soft armor protects against fragments, not straight-on rifle fire.

Turn to the side and you can still get a fatal through-and-through wound.

Front, back, and side protection -- how does that work?

This.

And yes, there are plenty of misinformed turds teaching CQB in the military these days. There also some good ones. The key is to recognize as such and employ sound principles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12