Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many defense pistols do you need?

Feedback Score

How many defense pistols do you need?

That's the question. Not want, but really might need.

House pistol? Carry gun? Pocket gun? Second identical gun in case the primary is out of service, stolen, or confiscated? One caliber? More calibers?

To me a compact-size gun like the Glock 19 can double as a "house pistol". And if it's the primary carry gun you should have two of them.

A small pocket auto is nice to have, and so is something in between like a snub revolver, glock 26, or S&W Shield-sized gun.

When I think of the guns and duplicates I'd like to have available to carry, it's about four Glocks, one snub revolver, and a pocket auto.

Wastefull or prudent?

How many defense pistols do you really need?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    That's the question. Not want, but really might need.

House pistol? Carry gun? Pocket gun? Second identical gun in case the primary is out of service, stolen, or confiscated? One caliber? More calibers?

To me a compact-size gun like the Glock 19 can double as a "house pistol". And if it's the primary carry gun you should have two of them.

A small pocket auto is nice to have, and so is something in between like a snub revolver, glock 26, or S&W Shield-sized gun.

When I think of the guns and duplicates I'd like to have available to carry, it's about four Glocks, one snub revolver, and a pocket auto.

Wastefull or prudent?

How many defense pistols do you really need?
    Two for me. A Glock 36 for off-duty/EDC and a USP45 Tactical for the house.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    2 glock 19s for me. One for carry, one to train with and generally beat the shit out off.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I can see an absolute justification for something that takes a light (and can have the light on it whenever set aside for that use), and one to carry. For the non-ballers among us, a single G19 or similar can do exactly that quite well.

For HD, if I can have a pistol with a WML I want it. For carrying, it's too warm most of the time here to CCW something with a mounted weaponlight, so I can comfortably justify two. I do have many more... because reasons. 125mph sums up what two I'd run if I had to have only two.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Although at this time I am proficient with and do favor Glocks, I am in the process of learning other 9mm pistols, namely the HK VP9 and a Sig. I have trained quite a bit with the MP9 but it does not do it for me... possibly too generic feeling, no personality, something, although it is a fine pistol and I shoot it well. The VP9 has some distinct advantages over Glock in its engineering but the Sig is just oh so sweet on so many levels.

I'll know how many pistols I really need after finding my "best" pistol for me (beside the 1911). Buy, train, learn, choose, sell, train some more.

Its kind of a loaded question though as we really never can distinguish or draw the line between the idea of wanting vs needing, can we?

What is the old saying? "Beware the man with only one gun, he knows how to use it."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Two Glock 19s. One for carry/training and a spare that also serves as my nightstand gun. Took me a lot of years and a lot of guns bought and sold to get to this point. Even when I get the new gun craving I find myself looking at...Glock 19s.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    The number I "need" for defense will always be a compromise between the ideal and the practical. Backups stashed in every room of the house upstairs and down would provide best defense. But I am not willing to round them all up and put back in the safe each time I go somewhere.

So the question really is what is the minimum you feel comfortable with? For me it's a J-frame and/or single stack PPS in T-shirt weather plus a higher capacity CZ compact for inside or out with layered clothing. Add my government 1911 since it is actually less obtrusive OWB than the CZ. My answer-- four.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Two guns that take the same caliber and magazine, so that my wife and I can each be armed in an emergency. Plus one subcompact/pocket carry for out and about times.

Feedback Score
    2-one for me(full size) and one for the woman. I carry her shield on rare occasion as well-I think its important to have a backup/deep conceal pistol. I'd prefer 3, 2 is min IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I really just have one. I have like 5 total pistols that could be used for defense.. including a wheel gun and a 1911. But really just one practical carry defense pistol for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast