Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many defense pistols do you need?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    4 for me.
    -Glock 17 on duty.
    -Glock 19. Stays at home as the HD choice. Doubles as a spare duty gun for light days, plainclothes days, and in case my 17 is out of service.
    -M&P Shield 9. EDC
    -S&W 642 no-lock. Backup gun on duty, occasionally off duty.

That's it for me. I find that this covers my carry needs, so the only time I'm without is when I'm in the gym (might get some thunderwear for the 642). I also am at about the point with these that I have enough variety to keep my interest and cover my needs, but not so many, nor so different, that my training and proficiency takes a hit.

Anything else on my wish list is for hunting or novelty.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    VP9 for carry, VP9 for house, VP9 for breakfast.....and a Ruger 454 Super Redhawk Alaskan for everything else.

In actuality I have several handguns and enjoy training with and using them all, the variety helps to stay focused on the fundamentals and that I have found to be a positive.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    That's the question. Not want, but really might need.

House pistol? Carry gun? Pocket gun? Second identical gun in case the primary is out of service, stolen, or confiscated? One caliber? More calibers?

To me a compact-size gun like the Glock 19 can double as a "house pistol". And if it's the primary carry gun you should have two of them.

A small pocket auto is nice to have, and so is something in between like a snub revolver, glock 26, or S&W Shield-sized gun.

When I think of the guns and duplicates I'd like to have available to carry, it's about four Glocks, one snub revolver, and a pocket auto.

Wastefull or prudent?

How many defense pistols do you really need?
    Need is a tricky word. You don't need any guns. You don't need pants, but they do come in handy. One handgun can covers most needs if one only has the $$ for one handgun for example. I know various LEOs who only own one gun, which is their duty gun. While others own multiple safes full of guns. It's not about need as much as options. It's good to have options.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

How many defense pistols do you need?

2 Glock 19's for the house
    2 Glock 26's for carry, one for me and one is hers.
    1 Glock 23 that rides in my work bag and gets carried occasionally.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Need? I suppose just one. However, I want to have more then just one. M&P9c and a J-frame revolver for carry and a full-size M&P9 for home/car/etc. Duplicates of the autos (Two is one, one is...). I prefer to stick with as few calibers as I can get away with. Simplifies things and reloading as well.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    In a perfect world (i.e. not having to worry about politicians trying to criminalize guns, ammo, etc.):

- A full size gun (G17 or G34) with a light for HD/carry/duty
    - A mid-size gun (G19) with a light for duty/CCL
    - A subcompact (G26) for BUG duties
    - A pocket gun (J-frame) with laser grips for BUG, deep concealment or around the house wear
    - An identical spare of whichever gun you shoot/carry the most in case of a malfunction that sidelines the weapon, or it being held in evidence for a bit after a shooting.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    All I really need are three glock 19's. My short/thick legs prevent any sort of pocket carry, and the glocks function well as house guns.

One for practice, one for carry, and a spare.

But that's boring, so I have others for fun!
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 12-02-14 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    1-G26 for EDC 80% of the time Carry Gun

2-G19s Gen 3 ( 1 for EDC/HD and 1 for Backup)

1-G17 Gen 3 for HD with a Surefire X300 Ultra Light

1-G34 Gen 3 for Fun/Range

1-642 Smith No Lock 642 for EDC Low Profile

and

1 HK45 Full size because I needed a reliable non glock 45 ACP blaster...

I think I might get one more Handgun in 45.ACP..a Glock 30s
    Last edited by davebee456; 12-02-14 at 12:28.
    "People talk 45. shoot 9mm and carry 38." Jeff Cooper
    now it would be - "People talk G19, Shoot G34 and Carry G43"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Two, maximum. A piece that's concealable and still large enough to shoot well, and a smaller piece for when you're dressed such that you can't carry the primary weapon.

ETA: and that's pistols.

You also need a semi-auto rifle for the car, and a Gauge for the house.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 12-02-14 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For me right now its a VP9, a current version M&P FS 9mm and a Gen4 G17. The VP9 performs the best with the M&P a close 2nd, but I'm proficient with all of them and they cover all my needs as far as carry and HD.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast