Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many defense pistols do you need?

Feedback Score
    1 Full sized sidearm for HD. example : CZ p-09 / M&P / 686
    1 Med sized sidearm for CC. example : Shield / J frame / CZ p-07
    1 Micro sized sidearm CC. example : LCP/TCP/PICO

Of course it would also be nice to have one full sized Pistol for each person in the House along with a nice HD shotgun and rifle for everyone.
    Last edited by ritepath; 12-02-14 at 18:20.
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    In my opinion, you need one. Either a 642 J-frame or a 340 M&P J-frame. With laser grips. Everything else is just extra fun stuff unless you are a Cop or a pistol hunter.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ideally 2 pistols should be enough. One as primary and the other as backup (or one range/HD and one carry gun).

Three would be even better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I had to do it over again... 2 VP9s (one for training, one that stays with moderately low mileage & preventative maintenance), 1 VP9SK(K) (whenever it comes out), 1 Walther PPS 9 (love the modular mag options, 6,7 & 8 rounds) and maybe a M&P bodyguard .380... So 4-5 pistols would cover my defensive needs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    In my opinion, you need one. Either a 642 J-frame or a 340 M&P J-frame. With laser grips. Everything else is just extra fun stuff unless you are a Cop or a pistol hunter.
    I'll pass on the J-frame as primary weapon, thank you.

Sure, they're easy to carry in a pocket or IWB and for "most" situations, 5 rounds should be sufficient.

However, if you've ever:

a.) been left handed
    b.) had to reload one in the dark
    c.) had to reload one weak handed under pressure or injured
    d.) faced more than one bad guy

.....something similar to a Glock 19 gives up little in terms of weight and concealment while offering a much more shootable gun, with a lot more ammo onboard, that is much more ambi-friendly and can quickly and efficiently be reloaded after slide lock/empty cylinders. Sure you can play the "odds" you'll never need more than 2-3 rounds but if you're already committed to carrying, might as well carry something you'd want to have if something bad actually happened. I consider a J-frame decent BUG or NPE option, but it wouldn't be the only gun I'd want to have. That honor would go to something double stacked and G19 sized. About the only place you can't carry a G19 sized gun and you can carry a 642 is in an NPE environment.
    Last edited by mizer67; 12-02-14 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have them staged in:

1. kitchen drawer
    2. living room shelf
    3. office shelf
    4. bedroom shelf
    5. nightstand for my daily EDC when I take it off

as well as an 870 SBS in the bedroom next to my bed. It is said that you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider and I like to employ that theory with my guns.

PS I don't have children to worry about getting hold of my guns.
    Last edited by DWood; 12-02-14 at 19:41.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Three total. G17 for HD (bedside). G17 for IDPA, range, training and classes. G19 for HD (second floor of house) and classes for those with smaller hands. All with Trijicon HD-Yellow.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    2 glock 19s for me. One for carry, one to train with and generally beat the shit out off.

If I could only have one pistol it would be a G19, with a backup. Perfect do all pistol and can be carried,nightstand, car, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My nightstand pistol is a G17 with a red dot sight and a light on it. It's a bit much to carry like that, but I think it's the shizzle for a nightstand gun.
    My EDC's are a G17 that's bone stock except for some after market Trijicons sights. My other warm weather EDC is a G26 with G19 magazines and Glock night sights.
    In Texas your wardrobe tends to change a bit with the weather, being able to go between the G17 and G26 is why I went with Glocks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The repeated reference to a shotgun in this discussion is discouraging.

Had you never fired or owned an AR, I could understand it. But just being on this site pretty much eliminated that possibility.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast