Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with Simunitions

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Training with Simunitions

Anyone have any experience with these guys or something similar for civilians. Looks like great training if done right......key term there is "if done right!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzag...OqGTT3&index=2

Thx,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Craig Douglas' AMIS is a great class that is sim guns only. It is great validation and the most realistic way to test your skills against a moving, thinking, and likely skilled adversary. If you get the opportunity to train with sim guns I'd take it. It is an amazing experience, I say that doubly for any Southnarc class. Dunno if I'd do it in an office that nice though lol
    Last edited by Nola_Jack; 12-02-14 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A local range offers simunitions training, and I plan on trying it out once time and funds allow. The instructors are prior combat Marines and private contractors, and they say simunitions training brings a new dynamic that everyone regardless of experience level can benefit from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just wear gloves and a cup. They hurt like hell in either location.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola_Jack View Post
    Just wear gloves and a cup. They hurt like hell in either location.
    If you're not wearing the right clothes, they hurt like hell wherever they hit you, depending on distance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    If you're not wearing the right clothes, they hurt like hell wherever they hit you, depending on distance.
    I've taken multiple contact distance sims round to the chest while wearing nothing but a t-shirt and a wicking Under Armour shirt underneath. Yeah, it hurts, but it ain't debilitating, and I just saw it as further incentive to not **** up in an evolution (this was at the aformentioned Craig Douglas's ECQC). It's on par to getting hit with an airsoft pellet running at 400 FPS, if you've ever felt that. And maybe it was just that Craig's Sims guns have seen heavy use, but they were much, much more prone to malfunctions than your real guns. At least half of the evos that went to guns had them go tits up; lot of immediate action drills were run, and that still often failed to clear the gun properly, since many of the malfunctions were double feeds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sims do open a new dynamic and verify/refute what you've learned. Simunition guns are prone to more malfunctions mainly due to the ammo itself. If it is warm/humid the projectile becomes soft and wont feed properly and the bore fouls quickly. There is another brand, that I can't recall right now that would seem to eliminate some of these issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joe138 View Post
    There is another brand, that I can't recall right now that would seem to eliminate some of these issues.
    UTM? I know Pat Rogers uses their products in lieu of Simunition products, because of reliability issues IIRC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I've taken multiple contact distance sims round to the chest while wearing nothing but a t-shirt and a wicking Under Armour shirt underneath. Yeah, it hurts, but it ain't debilitating, and I just saw it as further incentive to not **** up in an evolution (this was at the aformentioned Craig Douglas's ECQC). It's on par to getting hit with an airsoft pellet running at 400 FPS, if you've ever felt that. And maybe it was just that Craig's Sims guns have seen heavy use, but they were much, much more prone to malfunctions than your real guns. At least half of the evos that went to guns had them go tits up; lot of immediate action drills were run, and that still often failed to clear the gun properly, since many of the malfunctions were double feeds.
    Perhaps my @rse is just more sensitive. Never said it was debilitating, I said it hurts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe138 View Post
    Sims do open a new dynamic and verify/refute what you've learned. Simunition guns are prone to more malfunctions mainly due to the ammo itself. If it is warm/humid the projectile becomes soft and wont feed properly and the bore fouls quickly. There is another brand, that I can't recall right now that would seem to eliminate some of these issues.
    ATK Force-On-Force rounds will work in Simunition Conversion kits. I find they are more reliable and somewhat more accurate than the Simunition Fx rounds.

We had a guy attend a Vicker's class and come back all revved up to go to UTM. Didn't even consider it. Not a knock on UTM at all, it's just that once you have about 10,000 - 15,000 tied up in Simunition conversion kits and weapons, you are kind of anchored to the platform.

I prefer to do micro- fights more than full blown scenarios. Things such as failure/drug and armor drills are most effectively inoculated into the officers response with NLTA.

The whole science of why NLTA training is so effective at conditioning a response goes well beyond the whole 'it hurt's' experience.

If the trainer knows what he/she is doing, it is your best training bang for the buck IMHO. It goes right to the heart of what Steinbeck said 'The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.'
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-02-14 at 22:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast