Thread: 14.5 inch with pinned flash hider vs 16 inch

Feedback Score

14.5 inch with pinned flash hider vs 16 inch

Hi all, new member here, with a basic question. I am in the market after much deliberation for a new rifle and I have decided to just stick with .223 for right now. The Noveske N4 Light upper is where I am headed but have a question about barrel length and bullets. I plan to try and shoot 77 grain bullets or at least stay above 55 grains as the barrel is a 1-7 twist. I also plan to put a telescopic sight on it, the TA31DOC, NXS 1-4 or Leupold M4 1.5-5 with the illuminated SPR are all under consideration. I think this will be a medium range gun as I have a RRA with an aimpoint comp ML3 on it for closer range targets. The RRA has a 16 inch barrel with a 1-9 twist. I was just at a local gun range and shot a LMT upper/noveske lower with a 14.5 inch barrel and a pinned on flashhider + TA31DOC, a friend let me try his gun, it balanced nicely and seemed lighter than my RRA. For mid range shooting 100-300 yards is the 14.5 in barrel adequate?? How much velocity do you lose going from the 16 to the 14.5 nich barrel using the heavier 64-77 grain bullets. One use most likely will be shooting deer, I hunt every year usually with a heavier gun but really want to try this with a .223. So hunting bullets will be used and the ranges are usually 25-150 yards for this activity! Thanks for your advice. JimmyP

Feedback Score
    With the parameters you specified above I would go with the 16 inch setup. The Noveske N4 Light Recce would be the perfect candidate.

Stan
    "In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Feedback Score
    thank you I am getting the Noveske N4 light Recce with 16 inch barrel, Low Pro with 10 inch VIS. Have not decided on a scope yet but the stadia were so close in the TA31DOC I shot yesterday that when real bright I found myself having trouble discerning the 100 and 200 meter lines! The NXS reticle is a lot simpler wish that the batteries lasted longer.