Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Myth of 1911A1 Inaccuracy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The Myth of 1911A1 Inaccuracy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Indeed.. Was there someone here that doubted it?
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Would like to have seen Larry do all the shooting for a direct comparison, but the point remains.

I wouldn't blink an eye having to use my 1911, and in many ways find it - in my hands - superior to my EDC Glock 17, and least in terms of accuracy.

Feedback Score
    I kinda' suck with any of my handguns, but I suck less with my 1911's.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    That a 1911A1 is more than "combat accurate" enough goes without saying...

Now, to test accuracy with two different testers, offhand, shooting center of mass on BIG targets at 20 yds with camouflage painted on them, IMO is not the best way

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Who is challenging the accuracy of a 1911?
    This is a criticism of the system that I have never heard.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    the biggest problem with the old 1911 was the crappy, tiny sights. i think that is alot of the reason for the myth that the 1911 is inaccurate.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    I can remember reading in Time or Newsweek during the whole military handgun switch, one of the charges against further use of the 1911 was that it was inaccurate. This maybe where this comes from.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That a 1911A1 is more than "combat accurate" enough goes without saying...

Now, to test accuracy with two different testers, offhand, shooting center of mass on BIG targets at 20 yds with camouflage painted on them, IMO is not the best way
    WTF WERE those targets?! What about using some BULLSEYES to test for accuracy? Then, Ransom rest, and then hand held groups for a more accurate picture. And..WHY lower the gun after every shot?
    Anyway..as to "myths" about the 1911. Upon entering the USMC in 1983, Id already had 3 years shooting the 1911,as a NIB Colt Series 70 was my first handgun. THAT gun, was so completely in another class as to what I was issued. My first 3 years or so in the Corps, I carried a 1911, due to my MOS. I was issued a few different ones, and boy howdy..some were totally worn out. I saw one on the firing range literally disintegrate in a Marines hand during qual. My skills with the gun were far above average, and could easily score Expert every time I qualified, but some of those guns were dangerous to use. Training on the guns was a JOKE. In NO WAY did it ready a Marine to use it in a hi-speed situation. We were also made to carry only 5 rounds in a mag, for some unknown reason. Anyway, MY opinion on why these myths started and have hung around. 1. The guns. Like today, soldiers entering the Armed Forces then & now for the most part have had very little prior experience or formal training in firearms. Many shoot a handgun for the first time, in service. Using worn out pistols, coupled with, imo, inadequate training produces a lot of the myths. Those tiny sights didn't help anything either. Teaching them to shoot one handed, and/or un-sighted, didn't help, ala the "FBI Crouch" bullshit. Forbidding any extra practice outside of semi annual qualification didn't help any. And, handgun training back then, well go on youtube and watch it for yourself, it was entertaining to say he least. So a combination of worn pistols with the WORST combat sights in history, outdated/wrong/inadequate training and no allowed extra range time all contributed to these myths. I believe it should be a literal criminal offense to tell combat soldiers they cannot practice or shoot their weapons outside of annual/semi annual qualifications.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also had the priveledge of shooting an original 1917 made 1911. about 6-8 years ago, a lady approached a former friend of mine,asking about "this old 45 that my uncle used in the war". He quickly called me, we asked permission to look at, examine and shoot the gun. Not only did she say yes, she had a magazine that had been loaded over 50 YEARS, that she wanted us to shoot. So, being this was a big deal to us, we documented all this on film and pictures. The old piece was in very decent shape, except for finish. Stripping the gun revealed some minor tool marks, but all looked good inside, no rust, little minor surface pitting. The recoil spring Im sure was original. So, I shot the original mag that was loaded for so long. All seven fired 100% with no lube on the gun. Rounds shot LOW, way low for some reason. Then, using WWB 230gr ammo, we shot several more mags before field stripping, cleaning and lubing the old gun. The piece ran 100%. She was tickled, and so was we!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast