Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Lumens for you rifle light?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    This.

My personal preference is for SF Scout lights.
    The 1x 123 version is excellent, even if it isn't the brightest.
    Any thoughts on the M600V's white light output/beam pattern?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Any thoughts on the M600V's white light output/beam pattern?
    Its a scout light just like failure2stop mentioned and a good light. Its just different than the one he mentioned, as the 600v takes 2 batteries, is heavier, has 150lumen output and 120ir lumen output where as the m300b that takes 1 battery and is light, is a 200lumen light. But I believe it should have the same type of output/beam as the light he mentioned as they're both scout lights.
    Last edited by snackgunner; 12-09-14 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    With ArisakaDefense coming out with a Scout Body, I'm going to get to mess with the scout style light. Should make for a great House gun light with the malkoff head. Some of my Solarforce heads have a beam that's too focused and more suited for outdoor action.
    That's what I'll probably have to do with my early prototype Rosch works tubes - but those will be really stellar lights at low cost (since I already have mounts for the E tubes).

I do have a few Streamlight setups - a TLR-1S on my K100 GP5 (that won't fit an X300), and it's what I'd describe as 'good' - nice wide throw, very easy to run firing right handed with support hand activating the light, and stays put nicely; but at no point was I considering replacing my half dozen X300's with more TLR's.
    My SolarForce units have all held up really well, but the amount of tinkering I've done to get the momentary + push-through switchwork out of some of them leaves me with doubts on how well they'd run under hard use - they're 100% function, even after years of use, but it was a lot of reverse engineering on my part to get that functionality out of it - but I wouldn't hesitate to run those or Malkoff Devices single output heads on anything weapon mounted, just that SF does indeed make the best widget with regard to scout lights, especially in M300/M300V guise - the output numbers may not be that impressive, but they flat out work.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    For what its worth,
    I prefer an Elzetta Bravo w/AVS head. 650 lumen.

I live in the boonies with the shortest distance to a tree line of around 100 yards and areas of my property where that can stretch to 250 yards. I was running a TLR-1S 160 lumen model and there is absolutely no comparison in the beams. Throw, spill, not even close. This light gives me the ability to ID at distance and not tunnel vision to one small area.

I strongly advise you give them a look if you are out in the sticks.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockman1968 View Post
    For what its worth,
    I prefer an Elzetta Bravo w/AVS head. 650 lumen.

I live in the boonies with the shortest distance to a tree line of around 100 yards and areas of my property where that can stretch to 250 yards. I was running a TLR-1S 160 lumen model and there is absolutely no comparison in the beams. Throw, spill, not even close. This light gives me the ability to ID at distance and not tunnel vision to one small area.

I strongly advise you give them a look if you are out in the sticks.
    +1
    Currently have a standard EZ 200+ lumen light on my rifle. Have also been T&E'ing a couple handheld lights in similar but slightly lower lumen outputs.
    For a *rifle*, I can't see having less than the 230-something lumens the EZ offers. Hopefully will be picking up an AVS head to try.
    The only thing I really hate about the new high-output lights like the X300U and EZ's with an AVS head is the drop in the already miserable battery life of most tactical/weapon mounted lights. ....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Lumen count is less important than spill, throw, and durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Lumen count is less important than spill, throw, and durability.
    I look at Lumens like Dbs on silencers. Not much value in them other than a ball park idea of output.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Also depends on what you are doing with the rifle. Outside rifle work is different from inside rifle work.

But I agree, type of head design and throw of beam is vastly more important than lumen count.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I look at Lumens like Dbs on silencers. Not much value in them other than a ball park idea of output.
    Same. I would buy a new outdoors light if I didn't already have a KX2C head that throws really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Also depends on what you are doing with the rifle. Outside rifle work is different from inside rifle work.

But I agree, type of head design and throw of beam is vastly more important than lumen count.
    Would also offer time of day as well. Mid day, dim lit no power building which is partially lit from ambient light I find I want a brighter/more focused light to reach the far corners that a dimmer light would not illuminate over a dark building that I am working in where I can generally get away with a less bright light.

That said. I generally like my lights to be at least 200 lumens and for the longest time rocked a 320 lumen G2X tactical that I liked for bean and spill for GP/indoor. That said, I really love my M600 Ultra, and am looking at another one, maybe an M600C, Mini Scout, or one of the one cell Arisaka bodies when they come out now.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast