Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will ammo be affected by an EMP?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I don't bother trying to protect my electronics. Red dots may be toast, but Trijicon will see me through. The biggest EMP effect will be to make me rich with my ammo and 30s-40s boatanchor (tube shortwave) collection. At least until a bigger gang takes it away.

One of the scenarios that make me glad to be an old codger now.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Beanie and cup... I'm just sayin
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    Something tells me that when the "big ones" start falling on us we'll be more worried about our balls glowing in the dark than whether or not our Aimpoint works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    EMP works more or less like a really strong solar flare. It will take down the comms and power grid, but anything not plugged into a wall socket will probably be fine. Ammo will just sit there- the energy density required to light-off a primer would also cook you alive. Metal containers also act as Faraday cages, so anything inside ammo cans or other metal containers might have some degree of additional protection.

That being said, the implications of an actual EMP being what they are, I can imagine things like ammo and personal gadgets will fall into the "OBE" category. I personally don't consider it a threat worth specifically "preparing" for.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 12-11-14 at 17:37.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    EMP works more or less like a really strong solar flare. It will take down the comms and power grid, but anything not plugged into a wall socket will probably be fine. Ammo will just sit there- the energy density required to light-off a primer would also cook you alive. Metal containers also act as Faraday cages, so anything inside ammo cans or other metal containers might have some degree of additional protection.

That being said, the implications of an actual EMP being what they are, I can imagine things like ammo and personal gadgets will fall into the "OBE" category. I personally don't consider it a threat worth specifically "preparing" for.
    THANK YOU! So tired of the misinformation on emp's!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Cool great information. Thanks guys. I know very little about EMPs.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Cool great information. Thanks guys. I know very little about EMPs.
    There's a great documentary on America's atmospheric testing of nukes on YouTube. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    http://youtu.be/_AJPpHnBJiY

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Electronics DO NOT need to be plugged in be affected. The EMP/solar flare/HEMP, etc., will "energize" (for lack of a better term) metal objects. This in turn is where the damage occurs by frying the electronics. There is some really, really scary research that has been presented to Congress, and its committees, regarding this. I am not talking about the BS on the web, but actual true scientific research from major universities. The scariness factor is probably why it doesn't ever make the news.
    Last edited by 6933; 12-18-14 at 15:23. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Electronics DO NOT need to be plugged in be affected. The EMP/solar flare/HEMP, etc., will "energize" (for lack of a better term) metal objects. This in turn is where the damage occurs by frying the electronics. There is some really, really scary research that has been presented to Congress, and its committees, regarding this. I am not talking about the BS on the web, but actual true scientific research from major universities. The scariness factor is probably why it doesn't ever make the news.
    Do you have any cites about this?

I know it's been presented, and I'm not calling you a liar. I'd just like to better educate myself on the matter.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast