Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Suppressor - Opinions on the SWR SpecWar K 556

Feedback Score

1st Suppressor - Opinions on the SWR SpecWar K 556

I found good reviews of the full size SpecWar 556 but not much on the smaller/lighter K model. Anyone have any insight? This would be my first can, trying to balance weight/cost/performance on a tight budget.
    Last edited by narcedglocker; 12-10-14 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The K's haven't been out long enough for normal people to have their hands on them yet. How are you going to use the can, and what will the host(s) be?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    The K's haven't been out long enough for normal people to have their hands on them yet. How are you going to use the can, and what will the host(s) be?
    host is a Spikes Tactical M4 LE w/ 16" Length Barrel, Carbine length gas system.

use is as a range toy.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It is hard for me to say, but you will probably enjoy a shorter, lighter can on a 16" upper.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Agreed, but I wouldn't waste my money on my first can trying to get an enduro.

Get the quieter option so, in 9 months, you're not left wondering why the suppressor doesn't really suppress at all.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I will know better in 6 months, but I'm not sure if the difference in sound suppression (~4 dB) would outweigh the difference in length (1.1") and weight (5.8 oz.). I guess if this will never leave a bench, supported shooting position then the full-size can will be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    4 dB is an obscenely large amount of noise when you get above 130 dB.

How many suppressors do you have Tx?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    You will notice the difference in volume probably much-needed more than the weight and length difference

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    It is hard for me to say, but you will probably enjoy a shorter, lighter can on a 16" upper.
    I will second this statement. The Specwar-K & Saker-K are my two favorite 5.56 cans right now for this exact reason. Weight is less of an issue if you're shooting this gun exclusively from a bipod or off a bag, but for a "run and gun" rifle, ounces and inches add up quickly, especially on a 16" barrel. That said, if you are buying a suppressor with the primary intent of making your gun quiet(er), I think you may be disappointed in the Specwar-K. The K suppressors were designed for end users working in confined spaces (vehicles, buildings), doing jobs where length, weight, and other performance attributes are more important than sound reduction.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have a few, including one of the ones in which the OP is inquiring. While I opted for a Saker K instead, I have a while before I can get a decent comparison between a K and 5.56 Specwar. Since the quality of our hearing is most likely different, it is hard to say how noticeable ~4 dB is going to be. I won't run a can on a 16" upper anymore unless I am only shooting prone, but the K may change that. Usefulness and/or "the best", in this instance, is going to be subjective. IMO, a shorter and lighter can is probably more useful for someone that doesn't have an SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast