Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does shooting position affect Zero?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Changing eye position behind iron sights when changing positions can effect the ability of the user to perfectly (read: consistency in relation to the eye position when zeroing) center the front sight in the rear aperture.

For tasks requiring a high degree of precision, changing the inertia behind the gun will change where the shot lands, even if the point of aim is identical. This is a commonly seen occurrence when the shooter goes from a rested bench position to an aggressive loaded-bipod prone position, or from an aggressive position to a less controlled expedient position. This relates to how the upper receiver moves in relation to the lower receiver during initial recoil when the bullet is still contained within the bore. Much of this difference is absorbed in the precision potential of a duty 5.56 with duty 5.56 ammo, but far more appreciable with a heavier recoiling cartridge in a platform that delivers higher precision. A bolt gun will generally show less effect in behind the gun inertia change since the firearm as a whole is generally more rigid. Much of this issue is minimized by application of consistent pressure on the front and rear of the gun regardless of position.
    The generally faster lock time of the bolt action (Rem 700 type trigger) helps the bolt to be much more forgiving of changes in shooting position in relation to zero. .308 gas guns are not the easiest of platforms to extract precision and form needs to be pretty much spot on to get the real potential.

I guess that what makes it funn.
    Director of Operations
    Co owner Wyoming Arms

Feedback Score
    In "practical" applications with an AR, I think body geometry/position/technique definitely plays. Doing the 50/200 zero from a bench, then going into a training class where they checked zero from prone/seated, it was obvious to me that there were differences since I had to fine-tune zero a bit. YMMV.

If all you do is shoot from a bench all the time, it probably doesn't matter that much... but once you start to shoot offhand and such, little things add up in a hurry, imho.

This is pretty easy to test at most ranges though... shoot from the bench and zero, then prone out and check... that's what I do from now on for AR purposes sighting-in a new setup.
    Last edited by scootle; 12-11-14 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    Still, the zero is not affected.

Zero has to do with aligning the optic with the trajectory. You changing your position from seated using a bench, to prone unsupported has no bearing on this. It can/will affect how the shooter interfaced with the gun, but it does not alter the zero.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post

Zero has to do with aligning the optic with the trajectory. You changing your position from seated using a bench, to prone unsupported has no bearing on this. It can/will affect how the shooter interfaced with the gun, but it does not alter the zero.
    Well put. Matching zero to application, I suppose, is a better way to think about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post

I beg to differ. If you do anything with a firearm that changes how the recoil affects the barrel position before the bullet leaves the barrel, you will definitely affect the point of impact relative to the sight picture. For example, if you held the rifle down on a rest for one shot and made another shot holding the rifle offhand, you can expect different points of impact even though the sight settings have not changed. To me, a change in point of impact with no change in sight settings is a change in the "zero".

One needs to adjust the sights on a firearm using the same shooting style as you intend to use when shooting "for real". I always advise folks who are "sighting in" their hunting rifle to hold the rifle the same way they would be in the field when adjusting their sights.
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-11-14 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    Yes, POI change will occur if you change the way the shooter interfaced with the gun.

Regardless, the POI shift you are describing will not be significant. And it is not a change in zero.

Say you have two guns, A and B. A is zeroed at 200, B is zeroed at 300. They have the same optic, and shoot the same load.

How much of a difference is there in POI when you shoot gun A at a 300 meter target, compared to gun B at a 300 meter target, when holding dead center?

Recoil affecting the barrel? I am not sure I see how this relates to the zero trajectory of a weapon. Barrel movement while the projectile is still traveling down the bore will affect the group spread, greater so if the shooter has a crap shooting position. Again, nothing to with the zero of a weapon.

A zero means that you adjust the sight line, so that the bore axis is at a sufficient angle for the bullet to intersect the sight line at a given distance.

Take guns A and B again. The actual trajectory of the bullet required to hit a target at any given distance is the same for both guns, regardless of zero. However, when shooting them using the zeroed sights, POI will be different at different distances because of how the sight line, and thus the bore axis, is different.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience your zero will be different when shooting off the bench, than shooting from the prone position. It will also be different if you rest the rifle on a sandbag, then shoot from a standard prone position with a sling. Change in sling tension will also have some effect on zero, but most people can't tell the difference.

You will also see a zero shift if you do not have consistent cheek weld. You mentioned "Let's say you decide to use the 50/200 zero method and let's assume that your 50 yard target is elevated 5 feet off the ground." My first question would be "is the weapon 5 feet off the ground?" once you get into your shooting position. Shooting at down or up angles has an effect on POI.

Changes in lighting conditions also effect POI. The change in lighting on both the sights and target have a marked effect.

The way the weapon reacts during recoil, due to your shooting position, will also have a noticeable effect on POI. Try it yourself. Move the buttstock from the inboard position to a place on the outside of your shoulder or on your upper bicep and note the difference in POI. Anyone who has done some High Power shooting will tell you that they sometimes have to make windage adjustments when moving from the standing to sitting or prone position, even on a reduced 200 yard course of fire.

Like tehlama pointed out, the projectile travels at an arc from the time it leaves the muzzle. The projectile will intersect with the sight plane as it travels down range. Your job is to make sure the arc intersects with the sight plane at the moment when the bullet passes through the target.

If you are just banging away at 100 yards and closer, most people would not be able to tell the difference. Once you start shooting sub MOA groups at targets out to 300 yards and beyond from different shooting positions, you can tell the difference in POI.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-11-14 at 22:05.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    In my experience your zero will be different when shooting off the bench, than shooting from the prone position. It will also be different if you rest the rifle on a sandbag, then shoot from a standard prone position with a sling. Change in sling tension will also have some effect on zero, but most people can't tell the difference.
    Thats what free floating handguards are for.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thats what free floating handguards are for.
    Goes beyond that - floating the handguard just restricts that cantilevered mass to only one point (that has a considerable amount of material at the barrel nut-upper receiver mating point) to affect harmonic oscillations of the rifle - it's a LOT better than having two points, but just free floating a barrel doesn't disconnect either piece from that vibration equation as the force of an explosion gets channeled out a chiral opening in a tube with a movable copper jacketed lead seal - stuff is still going to deflect as that much force is getting channeled places, no matter where or how it's under tension from different stuff, just changes exactly which direction and how much it's going to move.

That sling has to mount to something, even if it's a FF handguard it's going to affect POI because that force is still actually being imparted onto the barrel, just at a different spot, at a different angle for the force vector, which in this case just makes for a much more consistent (and therefore predictable) POI shift.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

You will also see a zero shift if you do not have consistent cheek weld. You mentioned "Let's say you decide to use the 50/200 zero method and let's assume that your 50 yard target is elevated 5 feet off the ground." My first question would be "is the weapon 5 feet off the ground?" once you get into your shooting position. Shooting at down or up angles has an effect on POI.

Changes in lighting conditions also effect POI. The change in lighting on both the sights and target have a marked effect.

The way the weapon reacts during recoil, due to your shooting position, will also have a noticeable effect on POI. Try it yourself. Move the buttstock from the inboard position to a place on the outside of your shoulder or on your upper bicep and note the difference in POI. Anyone who has done some High Power shooting will tell you that they sometimes have to make windage adjustments when moving from the standing to sitting or prone position, even on a reduced 200 yard course of fire.

Like tehlama pointed out, the projectile travels at an arc from the time it leaves the muzzle. The projectile will intersect with the sight plane as it travels down range. Your job is to make sure the arc intersects with the sight plane at the moment when the bullet passes through the target.

If you are just banging away at 100 yards and closer, most people would not be able to tell the difference. Once you start shooting sub MOA groups at targets out to 300 yards and beyond from different shooting positions, you can tell the difference in POI.
    Unless there is a definition issue going on in this discussion, a zero cannot change unless something changes with the optic/sights, or bore axis alignment. With regards to the latter, shooter induced POI shift from barrel influence is not relevant when discussing zero.

When changing from a benched, seated position to a prone position, neither of the above are influenced.

I agree that POI shift can come from a variety of issues, but I believe it is important to not mix terms.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast