Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to fill an IFAK?

Feedback Score

Cheapest way to fill an IFAK?

What's everyone's observation? Is it less expensive just to buy the pieces of the kit that you want individually or is is less expensive to buy the contents in a Kit by DARK, Chinook, Tactical Medical Solutions?

I'm not a medic. I am interested in a real IFAK and not a boo-boo kit and I know that I have to spend some real money and get some real training. Just finished watching Doc Spears Combat Lifesaver and looking to take a class in the near future.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I spec'd it out a few months ago. It was cheaper to buy a complete kit than to do it yourself. Unless you literally have a pouch, tourniquet and quick clot hanging around. Those are you major expenses. Every now and again Dark Angel Medical does a sale, like 5% off or something. Not much but it defers the shipping.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This isn't a "use the search button" post, but there are a number of excellent threads on IFAK/BOK options. Along with some discussion of various packing lists. You can spend as much or as little as you want, and there are several manufacturers and good options for each component piece.

The easy button, and my standing recommendation for a basic start: https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/prod..._standard-kit/
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I know exactly what I want for supplies in my kit and have no questions about content. My basic question was is it less expensive to buy the kit all put together or buy it as a complete kit. The problem that I am having is finding a kit with exactly what I want in it.

Pouch: One of the pull out cartridge types appeals to me. Two CAT tourniquets, Combat Gauze, Pressure dressing: Izzy or Olaes, Halo occlusive chest seal, NPA, Gloves, wide Tape, Shears are the major things to add. A couple of safety pins, sharpie, q-tips, ointment, antiseptic wipes are just minor things to add that I could put in any ready made kit.

I've been reading many of the posts on kits and suppliers. The spread sheet is made and I'm totaling up amounts of buying individually vs buying a nice kit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Get the DARK and add your second tourniquet. You can get those little things you want to add on on you're own. I thought about doing my own but found that it was about $10-20 cheaper to get it prepackaged (without the discount available at the time I ordered).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Today IFAKs are 'relatively' inexpensive, and most are competitively priced with other, similar products. That said, I think it is cheaper to build than buy (complete) IF yu are in the industry, especially if you have the actual pouch or kit. If you can't get products at cost, then just spend the extra $10 for a fully-stocked kit. That said, I find several kits on the market today are outrageously marked up (I am not going to disparage their names here).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    This isn't a "use the search button" post, but there are a number of excellent threads on IFAK/BOK options. Along with some discussion of various packing lists. You can spend as much or as little as you want, and there are several manufacturers and good options for each component piece.

The easy button, and my standing recommendation for a basic start: https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/prod..._standard-kit/
    That seems pretty reasonable cost and my kit is of the boo boo variety but lacks what would be needed for something more serious per linked. I'm going to add that to my kit.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thoughts and links everyone. The information and your ideas are much appreciated. I'll have more questions in this forum as I go; I know that I have a lot to learn.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm an ER doc, and I can't really imagine needing anything more than trauma shears, SAM splint and a CAT tourniquet. Your job in the field is to stop bleeding and GTFO. Anything beyond that (airway techniques like jaw thrusts, etc) would require at least a first responder class. That's really what everyone needs to do instead of buying a Hellhound tactical or whatever high speed IFAK, go to a first responder course.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by acjones20 View Post
    I'm an ER doc, and I can't really imagine needing anything more than trauma shears, SAM splint and a CAT tourniquet. Your job in the field is to stop bleeding and GTFO. Anything beyond that (airway techniques like jaw thrusts, etc) would require at least a first responder class. That's really what everyone needs to do instead of buying a Hellhound tactical or whatever high speed IFAK, go to a first responder course.
    No offense ER Doc, but how do you treat an abdominal wound with a TQ and Sam splint. The TQ is for extremities only- as I'm sure you are aware of. The SAM splint is for the most part used to treat sprains -how Is that life Threatning?
    I don't know what ER you work in, but your advice is wrong ( the TQ was spot on) You need something to pack the wound with. TQ' s are great to have, but they are not the end all, be all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast