Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern 1stAid treatment for snake and spider bites.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ice packs are thought to be harmful and worsen tissue damage.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ice packs are thought to be harmful and worsen tissue damage.
    As in compounding the effects of the venom, or speaking of ice packs in general?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    As in compounding the effects of the venom, or speaking of ice packs in general?
    From my understanding they have just dropped it for snake bites because it was found to have no effect on the spreading of the venom. There may be more to it, but that's what I've been told. If anyone has a more indepth scientific explanation I would love to hear it.

Feedback Score
    A few years ago I was working in Mexico. The gardener was clearing wood piles and found a snake (don't remember exactly what kind) he chopped its head off and went back to work, about 15-20 min later he went to pick up the head and the mouth closed on his finger. We were about an hour away from a hospital, I heard he lost most of the hand if not all. Be careful.

Don't most or all scorpions glow under black light? Might be nice to have a black light around to help see them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country DeVil View Post
    A few years ago I was working in Mexico. The gardener was clearing wood piles and found a snake (don't remember exactly what kind) he chopped its head off and went back to work, about 15-20 min later he went to pick up the head and the mouth closed on his finger. We were about an hour away from a hospital, I heard he lost most of the hand if not all. Be careful.

Don't most or all scorpions glow under black light? Might be nice to have a black light around to help see them.
    ... what. One more reason I dislike snakes.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/severed...api-1627136917

"It is not a case of "nerves causing the head to move unconsciously" as most people think. The heads, and parts of the neck if still attached, are alive and some may attempt to bite objects which approach; the eyes may follow movement and the pupils contract and dilate in response to light and dark; they can blink and in the case of snakes and lizards, flick out and in their tongues to test the air for scent and even move slightly if enough of their neck is left."
    Last edited by Koshinn; 12-13-14 at 23:40.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    We will only be out there 3 days, but last month's training 3 Saudis were bite by Cobras.
    Sorry, I meant how soon do you need to know this?

If you still have access to AKO or JKO, there might be some training on this as well.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Great advice here. Only thing I will add is you can learn what areas to avoid in the specific areas you're going to. When I was in SE Asia we avoided grassy spots, for instance.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Back in Paramedic school we were informed about the use of 10ccs of 10% solution (1 gm) of IV Calcium Chloride for tetany related to Black Widow Spider bites. I don't know if the spiders you may encounter inject a similar venom or not. I would try to find out the kinds of biting insects you will encounter. There is still some mystery regarding the way the BW spiders venom works in our body systems. I have read elsewhere that it works somewhat as a Calcium channel blocker, thus the application of Calcium Chloride as an antidote.

I found this on a drug sheet on Calcium Chloride for you:

Indications and Usage

Calcium Chloride is indicated in the immediate treatment of hypocalcemic tetany. Other therapy, such as parathyroid hormone or vitamin D, may be indicated according to the etiology of the tetany. It is also important to institute oral calcium therapy as soon as practicable. Calcium salts have been used as adjunctive therapy in a number of conditions, including the following:

Insect bites or stings, such as Black Widow Spider bites.

Sensitivity reactions, particularly when characterized by urticaria.

As an aid in the treatment of depression due to overdosage of magnesium sulfate.

As an aid in the management of the acute symptoms in lead colic.

In cardiac resuscitation, particularly after open heart surgery, calcium chloride has been used when epinephrine has failed to improve weak or ineffective myocardial contractions.

Be safe bro!
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 05-14-15 at 21:06. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    We will only be out there 3 days, but last month's training 3 Saudis were bite by Cobras.
    Wow. Good info here, I'm in my first rotation at JRTC and they keep bring up snakes... Especially water moccasins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wow. Good info here, I'm in my first rotation at JRTC and they keep bring up snakes... Especially water moccasins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only thing I ever encountered in the box at JRTC was flies and horse poop. Its hot there too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast