Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got selected as an SRT Medic!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Got selected as an SRT Medic!

Well, I've been a medic for about 4 years now, and finally got selected to start training as an SRT medic with my local sheriff's department! I'm pretty psyched about it. Any seasoned SRT medics have any advice? We started the military version of PHTLS today.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No advice but congrats man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Advice as an SRT medic no, but as a guy who's on the assault/entry team yes. I'm not sure what your dept.'s SOP's are, but when the guys are breaching and making entry stay out of the way. Stay close, but don't try and beat them through the doorway. Every Team is different. Our Dr. hangs back by the vehicles, but I've seen other Teams in our area give their Dr.'s guns and throw them into the back of the stack. Good luck and stay safe.

Feedback Score
    Put pressure on the red stuff?

essayons
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." -Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th US President
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim059 View Post
    Advice as an SRT medic no, but as a guy who's on the assault/entry team yes. I'm not sure what your dept.'s SOP's are, but when the guys are breaching and making entry stay out of the way. Stay close, but don't try and beat them through the doorway. Every Team is different. Our Dr. hangs back by the vehicles, but I've seen other Teams in our area give their Dr.'s guns and throw them into the back of the stack. Good luck and stay safe.
    I was Medical Diector for our 6-member Tacticsl EMS team. We provided support to the TAC Team as well as the Bomb Squad and Dive Team. We were always armed, actually did the entries with the entry team. A few years ago the state Attorney General issued an opinion that the Tactical medics shouldn't be armed, so I quit doing the entries (and carried concealed instead) hanging back at the van or command post, and we'd send two medics in, armored but not armed. My decision not to do the entries also coincided with new OSHA rules that everyone who did the entry on an active meth lab had to be decontaminated on-site. Stripping down outside while a fire department team hosed me down didn't appeal to me, this being Minnesota and all.

I did that for 15 years. It was a blast. We got to shoot all kinds of cool weapons, qualify on an M113 APC, do rappelling, learn the rudiments of explosives...we even trained to do helicopter assaults (marijuana grow operations with the DEA, THAT was a hoot). Things are a big more tame now. New Sheriff, new political climate, new tools, more money, but it's still a hoot.

No advice...every team is different with different rules and protocols. We required that all the medics be qualified as Tactical Paramedics (TCCC, CONTOMS, or a couple of other high quality Tactical EMS courses around the country). I'd recommend TCCC these days.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-04-14 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I was a tac medic for a few years. Most fun I have had outside of the mil. Enjoy it...eyes and ears open, PT your butt off, be part of the team, and don't be 'that' guy. You will have a great time. Coastal NC? Where?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Use to be in Wilmington working for NHRMC. Now in Columbia, SC. Finally got around to changing my location in the profile.

I need to work on strengthening my core. Unfortunately they only supply us with armor plates in the front. That plus the medical gear I'm required to wear up front makes my armor very front-heavy and I ended up with pretty bad back pain after an 8 hour training session at North American Rescue a few weeks back. Any suggestions on how to work those muscles? I'm hopeful they'll eventually supply the medics with hard plates front and back...but that wont be until next budget year if at all. Any thoughts?
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to work those muscles?
    Deadlift and pullups.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Squats

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    ...and burpees, planks, and bear crawls. How long were you with New Hanover? Good friend was a medic there for a while...Mark Bennett.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast