Thread: Linear Comp and Buffer choice

Feedback Score

Linear Comp and Buffer choice

This might be out in left field, but I'm curious if it's even worth thinking about.

I know Linear Compensators are often used in SBR/Pistols setups to increase the backpressure a bit to cycle the action more effectively. Does the backpressure effect have any impact on longer carbines like 16" mid-length systems? I'm pondering, if it does have some effect, would a Linear Comp result in better performance with stepping up the buffer weight even more than usual?

I know most 16" middy setups start with a minimum of H-buffer, but many people ramp that up to H2 or H3 without issue (depending on ammo)... can a Linear Comp on a 16" middy affect things enough to make something like a H3 or 9mm buffer run when it otherwise might not?
    Last edited by scootle; 12-11-14 at 16:42.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    This might be out in left field, but I'm curious if it's even worth thinking about.

I know Linear Compensators are often used in SBR/Pistols setups to increase the backpressure a bit to cycle the action more effectively. Does the backpressure effect have any impact on longer carbines like 16" mid-length systems? I'm pondering, if it does have some effect, would a Linear Comp result in better performance with stepping up the buffer weight even more than usual?

I know most 16" middy setups start with a minimum of H-buffer, but many people ramp that up to H2 or H3 without issue (depending on ammo)... can a Linear Comp on a 16" middy affect things enough to make something like a H3 or 9mm buffer run when it otherwise might not?
    Why would want to do that? So you are going to purposely over gas a midlength just so you can put a heavier buffer in it? That doesnt make any sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Why would want to do that? So you are going to purposely over gas a midlength just so you can put a heavier buffer in it? That doesnt make any sense.
    I should have clarified... I am in CA, so to build a "featureless" configuration (which avoids need for a maglock to remain compliant), I'm left with no muzzle device that can be defined as a flash-hider in the build... given most brakes are ridiculously obnoxious to the guy next to you on the line, I'm looking at a Linear Compensator option (probably will try the Kaws Valley Precision LC from JoeBobOutfitters first)... and I'm trying to decide which buffer weight to go with as my first-iteration. I didn't want to buy multiple iterations of buffers to sort out what might work out best, but maybe that's the right answer... I'll just get a range of buffers and experiment. Just curious if I should be leaning heavier on account of the LC backpressure or if it's a non-issue on a 16" middy gas system.

Feedback Score
    Why not bare muzzle? It would be alot cheaper and you wouldn't have to throw parts at it trying to get it to run right.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    I should have clarified... I am in CA, so to build a "featureless" configuration (which avoids need for a maglock to remain compliant), I'm left with no muzzle device that can be defined as a flash-hider in the build... given most brakes are ridiculously obnoxious to the guy next to you on the line, I'm looking at a Linear Compensator option (probably will try the Kaws Valley Precision LC from JoeBobOutfitters first)... and I'm trying to decide which buffer weight to go with as my first-iteration. I didn't want to buy multiple iterations of buffers to sort out what might work out best, but maybe that's the right answer... I'll just get a range of buffers and experiment. Just curious if I should be leaning heavier on account of the LC backpressure or if it's a non-issue on a 16" middy gas system.
    It is hard to say how your 16" middy will perform with a particular comp and buffer combination. There are other factors at play that make a big difference as well such as the barrel (gas port diameter? over-gassed to begin with?) and the ammunition that is used (.223 or .556?). Almost every comp out there will add some back pressure/ effective barrel length to the system. Going heavier on the buffer is a back end fix to help compensate for a somewhat over-gassed system. Assuming everything else is good on you carbine (gas port diameter, etc) then stepping up the buffer weight could/may help offset the effects of additional back pressure up to a point. Remember that going up in buffer weight is more of a band aid and not a front end solution like a correct gas port diameter, or an adjustable gas block to tame the gas pressure getting to the BCG. Not all comps or linear comps are going to be created equal in the back-pressure department. Some will add minimal back-pressure, while others act as boosters that will over-gas a previously correctly gassed middy. Adding additional buffer weight can cut perceived recoil, but also ads reciprocating mass to the recoil system, so you may also experience additional muzzle dive/drop as the buffer and BCG go back into battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are some linear comps that don't add back pressure such as the KAK INDUSTRY .223/5.56 SLIMLINE FLASH CAN. They also make the non slimline version which looks like the Noveske Pig, but adds no back pressure. Using one of these would eliminate the need to play with buffers.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KAK_...limcan-223.htm
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Some comps and brakes add significant gas drive and some don't.

Our BRT Covert Comps don't noticeably add gas drive.

As a default choice, just get the buffer that matches the upper configuration.

An H2 would be a good starting point for most 16" middys.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Some comps and brakes add significant gas drive and some don't.

Our BRT Covert Comps don't noticeably add gas drive.

As a default choice, just get the buffer that matches the upper configuration.

An H2 would be a good starting point for most 16" middys.
    Exactly. I've found that the Battlecomp adds significant additional gas pressure in the gas system as opposed to virtually every other muzzle device I've used. I saw a BC take an LMT 14.5" carbine from a carbine buffer all the way to an H3 to keep ejection patterns roughly similar.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."